VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea &VA Dr's

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Most of us know that OSA or Sleep Apnea  can be caused from PTSD

and could be a secondary claim.

Why is it so hard for the VA Dr's to opine this for the Veteran?

I ask my M.H. Phyistrist about it...when she ask me if I had any questions  I ask her about

My VA Sleep Apnea Diagnose/and prescribe a C-PAP to use

I ask her if my Sleep Apnea d/x from VA SLEEP CLINIC could cause or could it be a secondary effect from my PTSD & The PTSD Meds I take?

her response was  '' I'm not at liberty to comment on that statement''  I thought.....WTF?

She is a licenses Phyistrist  With a PHD Degree hanging in her office. she is the one that prescribes my PTSD Meds  she is the one I count on to help me with my PTSD &of course the weekly therapy I receive from a VA Therapist L.V.A.S.W.

Anyway then she proceeded to say if your referring to a compensation claim  you need to get with the DAV Downstaris...

Anybody ever had this problem  getting an opinion from your VA MH Doc?

What is it with these Dr's?

..............Buck

Buck, I hate to say this, but I am sure you know, can't bite the hands that feed ya scenario.  I'm curious to know her response and what she states.  I wish you luck buddy.  Just don't loose your temper in there, they, the VA, get a little jumpy when that happens.  :rolleyes:

• HadIt.com Elder

I won't lose my Temp  if she don't piss me off... I figured to ask her about the side effects from my Meds  just to see what she states in my Notes.

Thank you ArNG11

No worries, just trying to look out, last time I caught someone backtracking I wanted to give them a shot to the throat, not the best way to handle things, but would have been satisfying at the time.:wacko:

You're welcome, really take it slow and easy.  Good hunting!

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger that Mr A.

Well I ask this VA psychiatrist today if any of my medications I take can cause a side effect  or aggravate my Diagnosed Sleep Apnea?...she calmly sad NO, NO your medications do not have any side effects that would cause my S.A. Aggravation  To get worse   then she said I may need to take my C-PAP Machine in for calibration or something.

so looking for a private Doc Now...eh!

18 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Roger that Mr A.

Well I ask this VA psychiatrist today if any of my medications I take can cause a side effect  or aggravate my Diagnosed Sleep Apnea?...she calmly sad NO, NO your medications do not have any side effects that would cause my S.A. Aggravation  To get worse   then she said I may need to take my C-PAP Machine in for calibration or something.

Sorry to hear that Buck. It is all a damn game to them, the VA.  Doctors have to make a living and while I understand the premise of not biting the hand that feeds you, I guess I take the ethics to an extreme.  

I read all the warnings and the paperwork that you get with rx's so with what your doc stated, I call bull s@*!, but it is what it is.  You are doing well to get rid of dr mrs.  Makes me sad though, the people you think are supposed to be looking out for your health are the ones that do that treacherous b.s.  

Edited by ArNG11
mistake

14 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Roger that Mr A.

I was diagnosed with OSA with REM Sleep, in 2013.

I recently had a C & P Exam, before I even went to the exam, I kinda figured that I would get screwed on their exam. So at the same time, I got an IMO by Independent Medical Expert. A few days after the exam, I went on myhealth.va.gov and read the C & P Exam, it was totally negative of course, the excuse was that I had gained 20 lbs over the last 10 yrs, and that's the reason I have OSA, even though, I am not fat at all.

The Independent Medical Expert Opinion:

Conclusion

After reviewing all of the Veteran's medical and military records, it is my expert medical opinion that it is more likely than not (50% or more) that the Veteran's sleep apnea is secondary to his service-connected PTSD. The scientific observation that the derangement of REM sleep prominent in the PTSD patient is the cause for sleep apnea is of particular importance in this case.

This Doctor also submitted his research findings on sleep apnea and PTSD, and mentioned several cases that he has won at the bva  sleep apnea and ptsd.