Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD diagnosis

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

So two years ago the VA diagnosed me with major depressive disorder with anxiety distress. Not service connected but fast forward to 2016 and I've won my appeal with my service connection for my TBI so now they say that along with my TBI my recent deployment was a stresser. So having theses two stressors will that take the diagnosis and combine it my TBI to say it is PTSD? Since my last exam said I had no TBI or stressors.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
16 hours ago, jfrei said:

So two years ago the VA diagnosed me with major depressive disorder with anxiety distress. Not service connected but fast forward to 2016 and I've won my appeal with my service connection for my TBI so now they say that along with my TBI my recent deployment was a stresser. So having theses two stressors will that take the diagnosis and combine it my TBI to say it is PTSD? Since my last exam said I had no TBI or stressors.

They may be right, especially if you have had continued treatment since then. Granted you may not have had an addition TBI event, but you could still suffer from the residuals of your SC TBI. Deployments and TBI events can continue to be stressors which impact you in a variable fashion for years to come. Some folks might even say they are ok, but years later they suddenly are impacted by delayed onset PTSD.

Thought it was just me I am actually meeting with a veteran counselor tonight for marriage counseling and treatment. My wife is the only reason I have any bit of sanity I have lost all friends and most of hers because of my inability to understand when I am being offensive.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just my opinion

They should take  the DX of the TBI & Also diagnose PTSD & rate you with PTSD   it could possibly be a CUE if they don't.

jmo

.....................Buck

Edited by Buck52

My TBI resulting in me being in a coma for almost 2 months at a Glasgow 3 score so there's no way of saying it was a minor bump on my head.

I've given up on trying to prove a CUE. They denied me twice for my TBI and then I appeal saying CUE. The judge completely ignored the fact they sent denials 3 times and said it was still open but she granting it now 6 years later. If that's not a cue I don't know what the xxxx is but not complaining just bitch a moan I had to dish out 20K of my retro for an attorney. But am happy I had Mr, Kendall as my attorney I was the client from Hell emailing sometimes 5 times a day totaling over 700 emails in a year.

• HadIt.com Elder

You have a TBI dx so now you need a Qualified Dr to state in his pro opinion he has read your records  medical and its likely as not that your TBI has caused or aggravated PTSD  , you could use combat stressors but being you already have the TBI  I'd file secondary to PTSD (Unless you already have a rating for PTSD?)

if not

You need to get VA to dx you with PTSD DSM 5...AND If your symptoms are strong enough  you could get a 100%rating with your TBI Rating you possible could get SMC's

Note : Above statement:

Just my opinion and not to be used as legal advice!   However  for options I would recommend a Well  Experienced VA  Attorney or Person well versed  & certified in VA Law.

........................Buck