Jump to content
  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

  • Ad Free Subscription.jpgOne Time Financial Gift.jpg

    Subscriptions and Gifts are NOT Tax Deductible. HadIt.com is NOT a Non Profit.

  • 0

VA Form 21-4138



After researching, I've read PROs and CONs in reference to using VA Form 21-4138. Please help me! Would it be better to have handwritten lay statements which will be notarized or the above-mentioned form? My spouse and parents have written their statements on white bonded paper. Are these suffice to use, as long as I get them notarized? Thanks!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts


  • 0

Yes  either way is acceptable ,but word of caution

be sure they write in Dark ink  or type it out...reason why?

everything you submit will be placed in your C-File

and at the present VA is changing over to the digitized format and they copy all our records now

 by  Imaging process to scan and copy over to be digitized and put on CD.

It  usually will not copy light  pencil or other light writen copy's  so make sure all your copy's of anything is either type out or written in dark pencil or  type in black ink  so their scanner imaging can read it to copy.



Edited by Buck52
  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The only problem either way, in order for the "Letters" to be notarized is to have the Author/Signer present  and sign the "Letter" in the presence of the Notary.

You can get just about any document Notarized at your Bank/CU for free, but the Document must be signed in the presence of the Notary.

Since I became aware (Chris Attig article regarding "Sworn Affidavit") I have used the VMC Med Record Dept for any "SA" Notarization's I need.

(Which Document is better to use?) I think depends on the situation. I continue to use the 21-4138 for matters I consider of lesser importance.

At my 06/14 DRO Hearing (decided on Informal), the DRO Seemed impressed that I had used Sworn Affidavits as opposed to 21-4138. Were the "SA's" the primary reason the DRO Awarded all $$ Issues from not only the 2010 Appeal but the 2012 IU Appeal as well, doubt it and really don't care.

If the Claim/Appeal is important to you, use what the Law Pros would use, the "SA."

Semper Fi

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Good info.

James Cripps however ( first CONUS AO vet) carried blank 21-4138s with him ,to prove his exposure to AO at Fort Gordon.I think he made 2 post service trips there. The 21-4138, at the bottom states:

"I CERTIFY THAT the statements on this form are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. SIGNATURE DATE SIGNED ADDRESS DAYTIME EVENING TELEPHONE NUMBERS (Include Area Code) PENALTY: The law provides severe penalties which include fine or imprisonment, or both, for the willful submission of any statement or evidence of a material fact, knowing it to be false." etc

So that too contains an oath , as good as a Notarized signature, and depends on what the claimant needs the info for.

It is always good to make sure the VA has contact info for anyone making any type of 'buddy' or lay statement.

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Well maybe so  I am going from my experience.

 I never used the 21-4138, Just written statements from family and friends/Buddys (notarized of course) I was there when the notary stamped them to sign.  (Raised State Seal)  

The VA Raters has always took them and used them as evidence in my claims, but they may have change that now were the 21-4138 is  a Mandatory Requirement?

I realize their cracking down on the use of these forms.

So Gastone makes a good point.

If  the 21-4138 is Mandatory Required in the CFR'S #'s on that let me know!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • CBO Options for Reducing the Deficit: 2019 to 2028 Published Dec 2018
      CBO Options for Reducing the Deficit: 2019 to 2028 - This CBO Report has been making the news. This post includes parts relevant to veterans. Nothing has been decided as of yet and some seem very unlikely but you never know. Forewarned is Forearmed.


      • 8 replies
    • 2019 Veterans Benefits
      State Benefits, Space A and More ... https://www.hadit.com/2019-changes-to-veterans-benefits-state-and-federal/
      • 2 replies
    • Appeal granted and closed.
      My appeal was granted and closed on November 9.  I got an unofficial notification from the DAV on November 15 stating "appeal granted with an evaluation of 30%" which is great!  My question is this:  How long until I get the official notification from the va? Nothing on ebennies has updated since the appeal closed. Appeal is now in historical and just says complete and at originating va office. I understand no one knows va timelines to a tee but a general timeline would be great.  Thank you all! Hope you have a Merry Christmas!


      Edit:  This was my first time appealing and it was a VBA grant. 
      • 6 replies
    • Question About Temporary 100% Rating for Hospitalization
      Hey all. I've searched all over the net, and read the CFR on the topic. I will be going to PTSD Dom inpatient treatment here soon. I read that it's possible to get 100% temp for hospitalization. However, the CFR says that PTSD Dom does not qualify, but then in the exceptions it says that it may. Does anyone know if I will qualify for temp 100%. I will be in there for almost 2 months. Here is the CFR code, and the part regarding the matter-


      Do not apply the provisions of 38 CFR 4.29 when a Veteran

      is treated as a resident in a State Veterans’ home is currently receiving a total rating for the disability for which hospitalization was required is a resident in a VA domiciliary program, or is a participant in a live-in/work out program being utilized to facilitate transition to community living.


      Hospitalization in excess of 21 days for an SC disability in a medical facility located at a State Veterans’ home may entitle the Veteran to hospitalization benefits. Veterans are entitled to hospitalization benefits for treatment in excess of 21 days in a day hospital program if the treatment given is consistent with hospital care for a SC disability even though they are concurrently required to be housed in a VA domiciliary.

      The exceptions part is confusing me. Does anyone know if I am entitled to a temporary 100% rating? I'm currently rated for the same reason I'm going inpatient.
      • 8 replies
    • Abbreviations, Acronyms, etc.
      Abbreviations, Acronyms, etc.
      • 0 replies
  • Ads

  • Popular Contributors

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading


Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines