Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Iraq vet goes insane and shoots up airport

john999

• HadIt.com Elder

The Army knew this new shooter was completely insane.  This is why they kicked him out on a general discharge so they would not have to pay benefits.   The VA must have known he was insane.   He went to the FBI in Alaska and told them what he planned to do more or less and they decided he was not a threat.  He believed the CIA was controlling him. He was having visions and hearing voices.   Now to cover their neglect and total incompetence the forces of law and order are going to fit this guy up with a death sentence when he is clearly insane by any standard of judgement except Florida Court System and Federal Court System which does not even recognize paranoid schizophrenia as a legal insanity defense.   Nobody in those systems can demonstrate that they are innocent by reason of insanity because of the legal definition of insanity.  The guy is obviously guilty and he is obviously severely mentally ill.  He fell through the cracks which must be a mile wide. This killer needs to be put away no doubt, but in an institution for criminally insane.  This may not be a popular position I am taking but this guy is not a terrorist even if FBI tries to make him one to cover their incompetence and stupidity.   An insane person was able to buy a gun and ship it on a plane with ammo and then get off the airplane and load his weapon and start shooting.  What is wrong with this picture?   I believe in 2nd Amendment rights.  I have CC license in Florida and own guns.  How does a guy like this get a gun when I found it pretty hard to get a shotgun from Walmart.  It took days and a background check to buy a cheap shotgun,  I don't even have a speeding ticket. I believe this guy had been committed to a mental institution.  The news says he has some mental health issues.   Well, yes since he is completely out of his mind and dangerous to himself and just about any human on the planet.

John,

I agree with you totally on this one.  I am really confused on the FBI part of the story.  I mean, he went to them and told them he was f*cked up??

But, I can add that with our "everyones a winner", everyones normal" society, this will only get worse.

With my job, I can commit people for 72 hours with just my signiture.  But, they just get released and come back.  My favorite is teenage girl "cutters".  I can call a medical screener and tell them I have a 16 year old girl with blood running down her arms.  They cut themselves repeatedly either for attention or because there nuts.  And the docs, say no need to bring them in, just a cutter.  Couple years latter they are usually cuffed in the back of my squad for something more nefarious.

Anyway,

This guy was telling everyone he had a screw loose and then the screw finally fell out.  He was looking for attention, that is why the gig was up when he saw the cops and surrendered.  Not a martyr for allah, just a nutjob.

Hamslice

“There is no hook my friend. There's only what we do.”  Doc Holiday 

• Lead Moderator

It sort of looks like VA has some responsiblility here for the lives of the victims.  It happened also at Dayton VAMC.  A Vet goes into the ER for mental heatlh treatment, dressed in combat gear.  

So, what does VA do?  Well the Set him up with an appointment.  What are you doing in Sept, 2019, will that be okay with you?  

The Vet comes back 2 hours later and committs suicide near the statue in front of VA.  

Only this case is worse, as there were 5 innocent victims, who could now sue VA.  I think the VA has a responsibility to recognize this person may be a threat and give him help, not an appointment in next september.  

The VA is always crying, but we tried to hire doctors and no one will work for us.  BS.  I have a friend who is a qualified psychiatrist who tried to work for VA.  They "ran him around" for 3 years until he gave up and works somewhere else.  

They could hire more docs, but it would cost them money and they want to save that money for parties for va execs, and for lucrative contracts for politically well connected contractors.  So, they put docs on the same hamster wheel we get put on when we apply for benefits, where it takes years.  

Part of the problem is that VA salaries for doctors max out about 175k, and great doctors make about twice that or more.  So, why should they work for VA for half salary? 

You see this is what the "bonus" system is supposed to be for.  If a doc is worth 350, then va can pay them 175 plus another 60 in bonuses and at least get them closer to what they would earn in the private sector.  

Enter:  Bonus abuse.  VA execs love that.  So, they make 175 k per year pushing pencils and ask for and get another 50 grand, when they are worth 75 grand a year, tops.  Then they cite doctors who need/get and deserve a big bonus for 12 years of medical school and a million dollars of student loan debt, as a justification for THEIR bonus when they did not graduate high school.  

• Lead Moderator

"Bonus abuse" is the big reason why va medical care is so bad.  They cant hire doctors, real doctors, because the bonus money is squandered on VA execs who know other VA execs and are corrupt and crooked.  

Might consider taking a breath and letting all the Evidence and Facts play out, before deciding who's complicit in allowing this KILLER to do his dirty deed. Jumping to conclusions, based on our own biases, are never good.

There will be plenty of blame to go around. His family, friends, Military, VA, FBI, Alaska PD, DHS and Airport Hand Gun Security polices.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

I am not making a political statement pro or con for Dems or Republicans.  I just happen to think our government lies to us about 90% of the time.  I was listening to the "talking heads" on Sunday talk shows.  I have heard one after another "expert and politician" tell bald face lies.  The ones that are not lying are evading questions the people have a right to know.  This is not Thomas Jefferson's democracy.  It is not even a democracy.  The VA executives should be looking at RICO investigations IMO.  I am saying our government is beyond being corrupt with a small "c".  It is corrupt with a capital "C".  Our grandchildren will pay in blood for this IMO. 

You know the majority of private medical insurance programs do not cover outpatient mental health visits.  They find ways (even Blue Cross) to get out of paying the providers.  There are going to be a lot more shootings and killings and crimes by insane people in the future.  Probably 25% to 50% of those locked up in maximum prisons are mentally ill because the States does not know what else to do with them.  I watched a unique Netflix series called "Occupied" from Norway.  This show may be pointing towards the future.

I don't think I am jumping to conclusions.   The conclusions are right in our faces.  I have NO solutions.  I am just  citizen with a passport, but where to go? I get a check from the VA and the worst medical care I have ever gotten outside the Army in 1969.  I am not predicting  a zombie Apocalypse.   This is a slow rotting Apocalypse that we won't feel but our descendants will feel it.  I am not a preacher so I will shut up now.  I am not making a personal attacks on any individuals here at Hadit and if my post is too political then expunge it.  I am expressing what I have come to believe.