VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does IU automatically qualify you for SMC?

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

Brother was just awarded IU, and has other conditions not associated with the IU that add up to 70%, using hadit.com scale.

Will the P&T IU itself meet the requirement for 100% needed to qualify for SMC?

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

• HadIt.com Elder

Always remember, Special Monthly Compensation, be it "S" or even "R-2" is not a claim. It is an entitlement based on your physical circumstances. 

Buck, agreed. And a good example is my Nephew. He's P&T IU, has other conditions not included in IU which add up to 50% based on the hadit scale, requires assistance with getting dressed, bathing...etc, and he was awarded SMC.

Allen, A-NOD referenced the ability of VSRs to access Vet's E-Files. Of note, it doesn't have to be a Vet's current POA VSR. The day of the actual "C-File" are no more, we've all been digitized.

I gave it a try a couple weeks ago at my VMC. Asked a VFW-Rep (not my POA VSO) about accessing my E-File. I knew that about 2 years ago, all the different VSOs came to an agreement that they would assist and file claims on behalf of all Vets, regardless of the Vet's VSO POA assignment.

The VFW Rep accessed my file while we talked and proceeded to print off a couple Docs, give it a try.

As to E-Ben not being up to date, I disagree. Granted, pre-2016 that may have been the case. I've had updates and Awards posted within a couple weeks of the actual Decision. A mid 12/15 Quality Review Decision (reversal of 07/15 Denial) actually appeared on my E-Ben site Jan 3, 2016  3 weeks before the Retro Deposit hit. Decision Letter didn't arrive until the end of 04/16.

Semper Fi

Gastone, I can only tell you from my personal experience. After calling the Ebenefits folks responsible for keeping my page up-to-date, they informed me that there was something wrong in the transmission of information, and they would submit a "work order"; they also told me they couldn't access my page.

Now, let me include this, my January 2017 case involves a retro in excess of 100K, and it requires THREE different approval "levels", and right now the case is in Washington, DC waiting to be finalized, thus (possibly) the reason why my ebenefits page is not up dated.

The bottom line here is the happenings with your ebenefits portal, doesn't necessarily apply to mine.

Please also note that the VSR's I've spoken to ALL said they "hate" the Ebenefits page, and when I asked them why, MOST responded "because it's rarely up-to-date, and rarely accurate"; which I can agree. Example, my 36 year old, healthy, married daughter, is STILL listed as my "dependent"!

Now Gastone, that's my nightmare with Ebenefits, what's yours?

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

• HadIt.com Elder

allansc2005

Wouldn't your claim date back way before Jan 2017?

I agree no two veterans ebenfits will  show whats happening..but the outcome should be the same for all veterans with the same issue's