Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% PTSD and 100% Total??

Rate this question

SecurityForces03

Question

Hi All,

I'm currently 90% combined with PTSD and a few other issues. The PTSD is 70% of it.

My current claim is for PTSD increase and a few other increases. I think they'll all be increased.

If my PTSD increases to 100% and my other illnesses get increases to equal 100%, does it really matter for work purposes?

I want to try and work for sanity and routine purposes, but I've read you can't work if you have PTSD at 100%? Would it matter if all my other issues also equal 100?

Thanks!

Edited by SecurityForces03

I believe if you stay at 70% for PTSD and if combined scheduler equals 100% your ok to try, but I'm not that much of an expert on this I'd wait until one of the elders on here tel you it's ok...

• Founder

You are not the first one to ask this question and so far we've found no hard and fast rules on this. Though if you look at the Schedule for Rating Disabilities for Mental Disorders you will this as criteria for 100%

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name 38CFR 4.130   Schedule of ratings—Mental disorders

I wish I had a more solid answer for you.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

It makes sense. If I was 100% solely on PTSD and 100% on everything else excluding PTSD, I would still be 100% PTSD.

In other words, my PTSD would be rated at 100% and my testicular, hearing, back and tinnitus would also equal 100%, then obviously I'd still be at 100%, but does the PTSD at 100% outweigh the other items that equal 100% as well? Tough.

Again, the working question comes up. Working a job that pays 10-15k a year is below the poverty line, compared to a 50-100K a year that many vets make while rates total and combined at 100%. I knew a few Fed Cops rated at 100% total while making 150K a year. Interesting topic.

Any chance you could post a redacted copy of your recent PTSD C & P DBQ that you believe supports a Bump from 70% to 100?

The 38 CFR 4 rating requirements for a 100% PTSD Rating haven't changed even though the DSM IV DX Criteria has changed to the DSM V.

You indicate this is a New Claim for PTSD Increase, what was your original PTSD Award & Effective date? You didn't NOD your original PTSD 70% Award, why not?

Were those Fed Cops rated at 100% solely on PTSD? That would be a scary thought, from the public and employer perspective. We can only imagine the Civil Litigation exposure that would create.

Semper Fi

1 hour ago, Gastone said:

Any chance you could post a redacted copy of your recent PTSD C & P DBQ that you believe supports a Bump from 70% to 100?

The 38 CFR 4 rating requirements for a 100% PTSD Rating haven't changed even though the DSM IV DX Criteria has changed to the DSM V.

You indicate this is a New Claim for PTSD Increase, what was your original PTSD Award & Effective date? You didn't NOD your original PTSD 70% Award, why not?

Were those Fed Cops rated at 100% solely on PTSD? That would be a scary thought, from the public and employer perspective. We can only imagine the Civil Litigation exposure that would create.

Semper Fi

I just had my C&P exam for the PTSD increase. Some of the questions entailed my grooming and agoraphobia issues.

My original PTSD award was 70% in 2011. Things have gotten worse and I filed for agoraphobia, secondary to PTSD. I was scheduled this past week for a C&P exam. I didn't fight the original 70% because I felt that it was appropriate. I always compare to other vets but no 2 people are the same. 

Those cops I mentioned were Total and combined at 100%, not solely PTSD. Although, I do know plenty of cops out there rated at 70% PTSD and "working just fine". IMO, it seems like ratings are solely based on who is rating your case.

Thanks.