VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

MH cp exam, examiner states you don't have something you have been diagnosed with for years

Rate this question

seminoles

Question

I had a cp exam and recently received the results,  I found it odd that the box asking if I was diagnosed with multiple mental health issues said No was checked as I have numerous diagnoses in my VA chart and my last mh cp exams all had yes checked?   Also, I am being treated at the VA for all of them, one of which is panic disorder with agoraphobia.  I do not leave my house alone, ever.  I am on a lot of benzos (I know) because of my panic disorder and yet she said I do not have panic disorder nor panic disorder with agoraphobia.  The last cp examiner said I do have them, which was 3 months ago, but they weren't service connected........ It was rated then and combined with my other mh etc. I am not sure of her angle here, she was super (or acted super concerned) during my exam.  I was having a really bad day honestly and had a panic attack in the waiting room and well, afterward one isn't exactly my best emotional state.  I have bipolar 2 (which I am rated for as well) and I have depression issues from that as well.  Because I was in such a state during my exam I was actually afraid she was going to Baker Act me, I had to assure he repeatedly that I wasn't actually suicidal.  Yes I have suicidal thoughts but I was not suicidal.  There is a difference, I had to explain that to her.  It was really hard and I was a wreck.  She seemed genuinely concerned that I was having such a hard time receiving care through my local va and that choice was taking so long getting me therapy, etc.  She asked all the questions she was supposed to.  This exam was because the first exam was a 10 minute exam where the examiner did not do the full dbq and I requested another.  The box she checked on my notes is for 30%, and she said I have mild bipolar.  That is a joke honestly.  When somone's mental health is at the point that a cp examiner is asking them repeatedly if they are suicidal during their exam, they don't have a mild mental health issue.  She wasn't simply checking the boxes.  I feel like she was covering the other examiner's behind.  In the big picture I guess it doesn't matter, I am IU PT.  Does her saying I don't have panic disorder with agoraphobia negate my diagnosis of every other psychiatrist that says I do? 

I thought the same thing my TBI review  stated no mental issues but was dx with PTSD and chronic AD but then I was made PT for having PTSD and residuals of sTBI. Claim still pending for my Chronic Ad so it's a guess a check in my  eyes and a joke for us that these examinations just pass us through for easy money for them. Every once and awhile you find one truely in it to help you

I have yet to meet anyone at a cp exam trying to help..........they tried to reduce me, an IU PT veteran in March (yes I had held those ratings for over 5 years and I had shown zero improvement).   I had to email shulkin and ted to get that stopped.  Within two weeks of sending them an email, I not only received a new award letter from my RO but an apology in it for any "stress" it may have caused me and they had changed their minds and rated me correctly for my bladder incontinence at 60% and deferred things that were denied in the proposal to reduce.  This mh cp exam is a result of that email. I had initially been increased from 30 to 50 in that proposal to reduce for my mh, however they were going to reduce my migraines from 50 to 0.......when they are so severe that my husband gives me injections for the WORST ones 5 times a month per my VA neurologist.  Classic, right?  So this should be interesting.....

Edited by seminoles

• HadIt.com Elder

This is why that even if you are rated 100% P&T for a MH disorder to stay in treatment even if it does you no good at all.  You go to the VA doctor and you reconfirm you disability every time you go.  How can some C&P doctor overturn 15 years of VA or Non-VA medical documentation saying you are 100% and have not improved?  I go to my VA shrink and a private shrink.  The VA loads me down with medications for anxiety and depression. I accept it all. I am at maximum dosage for SSRI's and other junk.   The VA prescribes over 30 medications for all my disabilities.  How can they say I have improved? I would never trust the VA or our government's budget office one inch.  As long as I am getting money from the VA I will use the VA before they use me.  I went from 10% to 30% to 70% to TDIU to an extra 90% and Housebound just by going to the VA and using their own  words for my benefit.

John

28 minutes ago, john999 said:

This is why that even if you are rated 100% P&T for a MH disorder to stay in treatment even if it does you no good at all.  You go to the VA doctor and you reconfirm you disability every time you go.  How can some C&P doctor overturn 15 years of VA or Non-VA medical documentation saying you are 100% and have not improved?  I go to my VA shrink and a private shrink.  The VA loads me down with medications for anxiety and depression. I accept it all. I am at maximum dosage for SSRI's and other junk.   The VA prescribes over 30 medications for all my disabilities.  How can they say I have improved? I would never trust the VA or our government's budget office one inch.  As long as I am getting money from the VA I will use the VA before they use me.  I went from 10% to 30% to 70% to TDIU to an extra 90% and Housebound just by going to the VA and using their own  words for my benefit.

John

I have always gone for treatment and am on a ton of meds.......guess they are giving me all this medication for nothing. My mh rating isn't going to drop even with her bs exam it just wont' increase, there is even a paragraph about my child support.  I had mentioned that my son drives a lot of errands, etc. because I do not drive anymore and we had traded in my expedition over 2 years ago because of that and bought him a smaller car.  I had said my ex would be happy that he doesn't have to pay support anymore because he is turning 18 (she was saying she receives zero support) and I said my ex makes over 98K and is an officer with over 30 years so he doesn't really have a choice.  She then put in the notes that I have an expedition and my husband makes over 98k per year and that how much I receive in child support, none of which have any bearing on my mh.  She simply needed to only say that I don't need a fiduciary when she asked about financial stuff, I answered her questions.........she didn't have to make it sound like we were rich.  My husband quit a job making over 100k with very good benefits to stay home to care for me and the kids (we still have one under school age) when I can't do it. He makes under 50 and is self employed so that is a huge difference, self employment taxes, ss etc. makes it MUCH.  She made it sound like we are rich.  The narrative about the income was more than any other paragraph about my actual mental health.  That seems wrong.    I am 90% IU PT so she can go take a flying leap. 

• HadIt.com Elder

seminoles

you could check with her if this was a  VA Exam and ask her to make Addendum to that exam & get it correct.

she can't delete anything she wrote  So I'd ask her to correct it   take your evidence and show it to her first hand

if they don't check these box's correct while your there and then you leave, them examiners forget a lot that she ask you or what you mention  so if they don't know or can't remember they usually check the NO box.

When we call them on it and have proof  they usually will make a Addendum.

From my experience anywayz

jmo

On 6/23/2017 at 8:33 PM, Buck52 said:

seminoles

you could check with her if this was a  VA Exam and ask her to make Addendum to that exam & get it correct.

she can't delete anything she wrote  So I'd ask her to correct it   take your evidence and show it to her first hand

if they don't check these box's correct while your there and then you leave, them examiners forget a lot that she ask you or what you mention  so if they don't know or can't remember they usually check the NO box.

When we call them on it and have proof  they usually will make a Addendum.

From my experience anywayz

jmo

Thanks Buck, I am going to submit my psychiatrist of 6 years notes as well as my VA print out of multiple diagnoses, I don't know how I would go about having a CP examiner make an addendum to her exam.  She sure was keen on making note of things about our wealth or what she seemed to think was wealth, which was far out of bounds and not even truthful. I have had a very hard time with VA mh treatment being consistent since my long time provider left, I have been waiting and fighting for care since Feb. with Choice.  I see a pharmacist for my medication, no I am not kidding.  She is actually better than the last psychiatrist they sent me to who lasted one visit and left the VA.  Sometimes the fight just isn't worth fighitng, but when you have a long term diagnosis of years and years and one psychiatrist in an hour states you do not have it, you know that is wrong.  I have not only been diagnosed but treated for it for a long time with many psychiatrists at the VA and outside of it.  My long term VA psychiatrist even stated that my panic disorder with agoraphobia and general anxiety disorder are part of my bipolar 2 disorder (which is service connected as depression and anxiety)  and are part of what make may bipolar 2 so complex to treat.  He stated that my bipolar is totally and completely disabled and prevents me from any substantial or gainful employment on my student loan discharge papers in 2013.  He also stated that because I am very intelligent that I appear more capable than I am and that  stress of any kind is very bad for my mental health.   Should I upload that onto ebenefits to help my claim? 

Edited by seminoles