Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

What I don't understand about IU and substantial employment is that if I took a contract job in aviation and I get fired due to my memory like my last 3 jobs in aviation. I would hope I could make it past the first 30 days but in those 30 days I could potentially have made over 4k just working maybe 32 to 40 hours a week . Which is over whatever amount is said per month but doesn't last more then 30 days Jobs in aviation pay very well and give you time to train paid. But all of my 8 years out of the military I stayed in aviation but my memory has prevented me in keeping  a job I had 4 different jobs last year and made over 39k. The VA still granted me IU, before I forced myself to work even the cost of aircraft and lives were at risk there because of my TBI residuals but I had to provide for my family. luckily I only damaged aircraft and did over 100k in damage total but no lives were ever hurt. So is employment lasting 45 days or less producing more then the poverty level considered  substanial employment grounds for termination of IU and my Permanent and Total award? I am considered 90% IU Permanent and total with SMC S.

Edited just now by jfrei

• HadIt.com Elder

jfrei

Get on benefits and print off your state & local benefits letters and take to your county tax office...they will set up your tax exceptions.(its a great benefit)

Also if your a first time home buyer be sure to homestead your property, you should get a big tax credit deduction for first time home buyer.

Note: this is not taxes on the property but taxes from the Purchase of the property. to be filed on income tax...you will need to live on the property for at least a year.

As I understand it.

I was tax exempt from property tax being 100%p&t and when we purchase a home and homesteaded it & lived there for a year  I got the first time buyer tax relief and got back tax credit from the purchase of the property. (this has been a few years ago)

• HadIt.com Elder

Not sure if your extra scheduler for IU If you are your not suppose to be working...now if your 100% IU you can work and make up to so much  but if you got the IU from a combined rating less 100%  your not suppose to work at all.

besides with your S.C. TBI & other S.C. Disability's  I don't think I'd want you to be working on my Airplane ( if i had one that is.)

no offence intended  just saying...eh!

Edited by Buck52

porgee, the is always "other help", you just have to look for it.

SSDI is almost as bad as the VA as far as time is concerned.

Let's encourage jfrei to use all the resources a veteran deserves, and not be critical.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

This is my second home so I don't think I can use that benefit again. First home only had 2 bedrooms and now we needed four and we have lived her just over a year before telling us we weren't paying enough into our escrow account and now come July pay an adjustment xtra 200 a month for a year and then continues until the life of our loan. Which I barely afforded when it was the old Payment. I'll try the local county office to see what they can do... I also have 3 claims flagged for hardship which if they all are granted would make me scheduler but until then I'm regular IU at 90% before and do not wish to work anymore as every doctor has said I am a liability more then a worker to all future employers...

14 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Not sure if your extra scheduler for IU If you are your not suppose to be working...now if your 100% IU you can work and make up to so much  but if you got the IU from a combined rating less 100%  your not suppose to work at all.

besides with your S.C. TBI & other S.C. Disability's  I don't think I'd want you to be working on my Airplane ( if i had one that is.)

no offence intended  just saying...eh!

None taken I've been told this already by the airlines maybe with another .98 with Allan's 2 cents I can give you a dollar ? towards your first plane ✈️ 

least I still kept a sense of humor 

Edited by jfrei

Buck, it's my understanding that with IU, where your scheduler is less than 100%, there are two situations where you can work.

1.If you work and make BELOW what's considered the "poverty line"

2. You have a "sheltered" job such as in vocational rehabilitation.

Either way, jfrei should check with his rep BEFORE working anywhere at any salary.

Just my best guess.

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!