Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

What I don't understand about IU and substantial employment is that if I took a contract job in aviation and I get fired due to my memory like my last 3 jobs in aviation. I would hope I could make it past the first 30 days but in those 30 days I could potentially have made over 4k just working maybe 32 to 40 hours a week . Which is over whatever amount is said per month but doesn't last more then 30 days Jobs in aviation pay very well and give you time to train paid. But all of my 8 years out of the military I stayed in aviation but my memory has prevented me in keeping  a job I had 4 different jobs last year and made over 39k. The VA still granted me IU, before I forced myself to work even the cost of aircraft and lives were at risk there because of my TBI residuals but I had to provide for my family. luckily I only damaged aircraft and did over 100k in damage total but no lives were ever hurt. So is employment lasting 45 days or less producing more then the poverty level considered  substanial employment grounds for termination of IU and my Permanent and Total award? I am considered 90% IU Permanent and total with SMC S.

Edited just now by jfrei

J, your IU, quit beating yourself up with the "What If's."  IF and WHEN you go BTW and start having $1K+ per month in Earned Income from  "UNINTERRUPTED" full or part-time work for 7 months, then we need to talk.

Semper Fi

1 hour ago, seminoles said:

Also, aren't you currently trying to fight for SSDI?  If you work at all you will be denied.  I would not risk your IU or your SSDI claim for what you seem to know will be short term employment at best. 

I have a fight that seems about another 20 month to wait for the appeal hearing and even with my current IU being Permanent and Total I've sold all my retirement savings just trying to get by. I'm just really worried I don't want to deal with a foreclosure on my home with a new 2 month baby and I have a 3 year old they deserve more then I can give them as far as care and educational care. But your right about it would be short term at past so I'm just grabbing for straws trying to figure out my next because I'm running out of ideas of what to sell. I have nothing and moving in a few months is a last ditch efffort...

1 hour ago, Gastone said:

J, your IU, quit beating yourself up with the "What If's."  IF and WHEN you go BTW and start having $1K+ per month in Earned Income from  "UNINTERRUPTED" full or part-time work for 7 months, then we need to talk.

Semper Fi

I wouldn't last that long past probation period and have had one job in 8 years that would meet that criteria that was 2014.

15 minutes ago, jfrei said:

I have a fight that seems about another 20 month to wait for the appeal hearing and even with my current IU being Permanent and Total I've sold all my retirement savings just trying to get by. I'm just really worried I don't want to deal with a foreclosure on my home with a new 2 month baby and I have a 3 year old they deserve more then I can give them as far as care and educational care. But your right about it would be short term at past so I'm just grabbing for straws trying to figure out my next because I'm running out of ideas of what to sell. I have nothing and moving in a few months is a last ditch efffort...

Wow social security is that long?  I had to go to hearing and in 2013 and it didn't take that long from first filing to hearing......not even close, that is horrible!!  As far as education for your kids, that shouldn't be a worry right now, they will have chapter 35 and there are other scholarships out there as well to help them when the time comes.

Yeah it took 3 months for intial denial and then Delaware makes you do a reconsideration appeal which took another 3 months. Now I'm about to file with an attorney but haven't had my appeal for a hearing filed yet because they are waiting on my application I filled out and mailed in the Snail mail 8 days ago then and only then will the 20 month wait clock begin. Talk about frustration I have a diagnosed chronic adjustment disorder by a doctor and SSA says I have no problem adjusting to normal life stressors what a f ing joke that means I have to wait 20 months of enduring hardship after hardship. I wish SSA had a hardship program like the VA does to show they were wrong had they looked into it a little harder instead of denying me..... i understand the college stuff but nothing as far as pre to 12th grade   With Delaware public schools are not good in my area they are set up until high school and then it's a wash their schools ranked last in the state and schools no matter how well they did will look the other way unfortunately. At least that what I'm told by family members...

Edited by jfrei