Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

What I don't understand about IU and substantial employment is that if I took a contract job in aviation and I get fired due to my memory like my last 3 jobs in aviation. I would hope I could make it past the first 30 days but in those 30 days I could potentially have made over 4k just working maybe 32 to 40 hours a week . Which is over whatever amount is said per month but doesn't last more then 30 days Jobs in aviation pay very well and give you time to train paid. But all of my 8 years out of the military I stayed in aviation but my memory has prevented me in keeping  a job I had 4 different jobs last year and made over 39k. The VA still granted me IU, before I forced myself to work even the cost of aircraft and lives were at risk there because of my TBI residuals but I had to provide for my family. luckily I only damaged aircraft and did over 100k in damage total but no lives were ever hurt. So is employment lasting 45 days or less producing more then the poverty level considered  substanial employment grounds for termination of IU and my Permanent and Total award? I am considered 90% IU Permanent and total with SMC S.

Edited just now by jfrei

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger That!

I won't be working anymore unless it's at my families business or if at a sheltered position but no one will take me because of my TBI I might try scratch of tickets doubt my lucks changed tho...

Edited by jfrei

• HadIt.com Elder

As long timer & Well Respected VA Advocate Jim Strickland explains in this link about  the difference between extra scheduler IU an 100%IU working.

http://statesidelegal.org/difference-benefits-100-schedular-disabled-veteran-vs-100-tdiu-disabled

• HadIt.com Elder

I thought the SSA had developed a program several years ago to help returning Vets who are disabled for a fast track claim under SSDI....Have you sent the VA award to the SS office?

Also I would suggest that if you are close to losing your home , you talk to your mortgage company.  There are still programs intact that will possibly help you keep your home.

Yeha I thought so too but I was just made Permanently and total backdated last November this past May. Unfortunately that was after my initial and my appeal reconsideration. Now they have it and my attorneys waiting on the Snail mail for my information to mail in my appeal most likely by Friday but there's still an average wait of 20 months so I'm told 

I've gotten ahold of the WWP and they directed me to some help I just have to wait for an answer... thank you All