Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Our picks

• The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
      • 4 replies
    • Wonderful news way to hang in. I hope this gives you some well deserved peace. 
    • If HadIt.com has helped you or you believe in it’s mission then please donate even $1 helps. I hope HadIt.com has provided $1’s worth of help to you. Imagine waking up and there is no HadIt.com it could happen and that is why I’m asking for your help now.

Our traffic is going up and so are our expenses, however revenues have gone down and so I am reaching out to you to see if you can help me keep Hadit.com up and running.
      • 4 replies
    • https://community.hadit.com/searching-for-va-claims-information-on-hadit.com/

Your question has probably been asked before so the fastest way to find the information you need is to search for it.
      • 3 replies
    • How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
Bullwinkle

Request for Reconsideration

Question

Hello all. I would like to submit a request for reconsideration for a two contentions that were rated at SC at 0% in September 2017. I have everything (new medical evidence, VA Form 21-4138, etc.) loaded into e-benefits ready to send but was not sure requesting a reconsideration through e-benefits was the right process. My question is......can a request for reconsideration be submitted through e-benefits? Thanks again.

Yes if on the 21-4138 you put exactly what you doing requesting reconsider for the disability. And then when picking the disability I think your only choice is to click increase but the form should get the point across for what your doing. I would follow up with a call tomorrow to get the confirmation that it was correct way of doing it. I want to say check the Vets.gov on the claim just so you see the new format of claims when submitting in new evidence as long as you have a cell phone that can get a text or call with your number code.

Edited by jfrei
  • Like 1

How about posting redacted copies of your recent Award Letter and the "New Evidence" supporting a Higher Rating? Who's fault was it that the VA didn't have your "New Evidence" prior to issuing a Rating Decision?

Was the Claim an FDC, how long did it take for the Decision?

Keep in mind that the appeal timer is still running since a reconsideration is not a process that is encoded in the VA regulations. 

If they don't get through your reconsideration in the year since the decision, file a Notice Of Disagreement.  

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 19k4life
      Hello all,
      I've been a big fan of this site and would like to thank all for the great insights pertaining to all.
      My questions follows..
      I filed a NOD in receipt on July 30th 2018 as va.gov showed. It was for a DRO review. I filed for 3 contentions for increase and TDIU. Which always shows as 2 different claims on VA.GOV site.
      My current rating before NOD was at 90%. For total of 12 rated issues.
      Recently this week showed up on VA.gov and ebenefits as granted 100 TDIU but on ebene I did the math..
      50%, 10%x5, 20%x4, 30%x2.. This should add up to 95% which makes it 100 schedular so I thought... Below are what I saw from ebene. I'm just confused coz if 100 by schedular the TDIU should be moot.. Also, my disability on ebene shows 100 disabled. I want to have 100 schedular. Haven't received the brown envelope yet with decision letter. No retro pay yet.
      I'm bad at pasting all info from ebene on this post...
      Ebene benefit summary breaks down with checks:
      1. You have one or more serv related disabilities. YES
      2. Your combined serv connected disabilities are 100%.
      3. Your current monthly award is:  effective date of last change amount and date.. $4158.32 / 12/01/2019.
      4. You are being paid at 100% due to your unemployability due to your service disability. YES
      5. You are considered t&p so let due to your serv connection. Effective dates of your T&P disability dates are 10/07/2017.
      6. You are being paid SMC due to your service type severity..etc... YES
      Everything here looks like tdiu 100 but my total math on my ebene shows 95 which us 100. My retro is another thing..if schedular..it seems as since my increase on the NOD was effective on 11/27/2019 that made me 100 by va math and the TDIU stated above was for 10/07/2017 effective.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks in advance.

• By SpaceAce54
      I filed for a DRO review in April 2019 with the PHILA RO, I just this week July 21. 2019 from MN. Office saying I had requested a call.
      Please provide any info possible, I do not remember requesting a call, what do this mean? And Why a call from the MN. , office?
      I requested a review of benefits denied, and supplied additional evidence.
    • By Mulligan64
      Hi all!  Just found this site and from the looks of it there are more answers here than with the VA or with my VSO, so here goes.
      Several months ago I filed for asbestos exposure issues arising from Naval Service (old snipe on an older no longer existing aircraft carrier).  Everything I've read and printed out for future use, notes that evidence of asbestos exposure typically doesn't rear it's ugly head for 30- 50 years.  Which it has in my case.  Lung fibrosis, calcified and non-calcified pleural plaques and a small lung (possibly benign) lung nodule all revealed initially poorly via an x-ray and later better identified by a CT scan.  All on my dime.  I thought I'd just have to grin and bear it until a Vet informed me about it being related to my naval background so I filed with the VA using a VSO.  (I should point out that as of yet I do not have lung cancer, mesothelioma or asbestosis.)
      Two things.   I get my response from the VA and they tell me that because I didn't file within one year of discharge (1968) I couldn't file for prostate cancer, which I have been operated on for this year, and still have some residuals that I'll probably have for the rest of my life.   Then, they inform me they want a C&P exam, by a contractor,  performed regarding my "pleural plaques."
      (Pleural plaques are evidence of asbestos exposure causing the  moderate lung fibrosis and the lung nodule.  The only concentrated asbestos exposure I had was during my Naval enlistment.)
       So, I went in to the C&P with print-outs noting asbestos exposure has a long latency period, how it can cause pleural and calcified and non-calcified pleural plaques, as well as a copy of my CT scan.  The doctor could have cared less.  He actually pushed away the paperwork I had brought with me.  He never took vitals.  Nothing.  I was there to get a chest x-ray (not worth a crap compared to a CT scan) and to take a pulmonary function test.  He opted not to do the x-ray when he glanced at my CT scan report, that he had previously pushed away, spoke out loud more to himself than me, stating, "I can use this."  And, pretty much dismissed me, stating as he walked out the door that his report would be done in two or three days.  
      Oh, and the chest x-ray was never done.
      The "nurse" then did my PFT exam.  I either flunked it or failed it so miserably, she gave up after administering the test five (not three) times in about as many minutes.  Simply put, I ran out of air, I guess, faster than she thought I should.  Every time I took the test I happened to cough into the tube as I ran out of air.  Twice.  She said the machine read that I was coughing not exhaling.  I told her that I was out of air by that time and of course I was coughing.  So then, she let me hold the machine, I took a deep breathe, exhaled and as I started to cough pushed the machine away from me so I didn't cough (heaven forbid) into the tube.  I did that three times and by then I was about to pass out.  She ultimately left the room and came back in a few minutes later letting me know I could go.
      As to the prostate cancer, I have found several internet articles from medical sites that link asbestos exposure and prostate cancer and have proffered  them with my Request for Reconsideration.
      Assuming this request takes months for yet another denial, does the time it take for their reconsideration adversely impact the year I have to file either a NOD or an appeal?  
      Any like cases or suggestions out there?

• By OldJoe
      Got an unofficial notification from the DAV about my DRO appeal stating that they were giving me an earlier date for my tinnitus (that baffled me) and that they were granting me 40% for my back (degenerative arthritis).  My appeal was for secondary service connection for my knees, there was nothing about my knees in the "unofficial notification".
      So I went to the closest regional off and was finally seen.  They looked up the "official" notification (SOC) from the VA and it stated nothing about my back but stated that they had denied me my secondary claim on my knees stating that the Dr couldn't find anything to connect my claim to either my back or the service (um, always thought knees went when back went, so secondary was almost a given, then again he did specialize in cardiology).
      In someways I am not that surprised, but I am wondering about the "unofficial" notice both the "unofficial" and "official" where dated the same (July 5th) I cannot believe in a matter of a few moments the VA totally changed their decision.  So that has got me flummoxed.
      What makes this unique is that if the 40% for my back was based on the one medical entry that they didn't use for my initial claim back in 95/96.  I was never able to get anybody to write me a nexus letter for this so I could "officially" reopen the case.  If the "unofficial" letter holds true and I am just waiting on other paperwork to be finalized then they have all but argued CUE and handed me a win without even trying (I know the VA will never give up that easily).  The entry stated scoliosis and that it was a recurring issue, their determination was based on an earlier entry and stated in black and white they could not find any other entries.  Can you say "gotchya"?
      Getting a letter now for my knees should be easier since I have some indication that the VA does ("did") give some indication that they felt that my evidence did indicate connection to the service concerning my back.
      Can anyone possibly clue me into what might be going on?  Did the DAV totally get it wrong?  Or, is this just part of the whole overall process and I am only seeing part of it?
    • By MF6
      I separated from active duty service in the Air Force with in 2010 and had undiagnosed non-combat military connected PTSD with alcohol use in remission (According to my VA disability paperwork which puts me at 50% for ptsd.) This was granted the beginning of last year. I recently put in to have my discharge upgraded to honorable from general and have yet to hear back from them. (E-benefits say maybe I'll hear about it early February 2018.)
      There were a few selfmedicated incidents with alcohol that happened while I was active duty that resulted in going into a civilian rehabilitation facility, a perscription to an antidepressant, and a lot of suicidal ideation I recently admitted in my paperwork to the review board that I was afraid to admit to my command because they would do things like write someone up for a sunburn (destruction of government property), or purposefully keep spouses apart by writing one up for something they didn't do and keep them from going during their significant others' PCS (because someone else did it to them for five years and "they turned out fine"(There was no way to prove otherwise.)).
      I was recently reading about medical retirement from the military. It's a little confusing. I was wondering if there was a way to submit for reconsideration and medically retire from the military after separation?

• Ads

• Our picks

• The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
      • 4 replies
    • Wonderful news way to hang in. I hope this gives you some well deserved peace. 
    • If HadIt.com has helped you or you believe in it’s mission then please donate even $1 helps. I hope HadIt.com has provided $1’s worth of help to you. Imagine waking up and there is no HadIt.com it could happen and that is why I’m asking for your help now.

Our traffic is going up and so are our expenses, however revenues have gone down and so I am reaching out to you to see if you can help me keep Hadit.com up and running.
      • 4 replies
    • https://community.hadit.com/searching-for-va-claims-information-on-hadit.com/

Your question has probably been asked before so the fastest way to find the information you need is to search for it.
      • 3 replies
    • How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines