VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

disability caused by secondary disability

Rate this question

maverick

Question

Greetings to everyone,

Could you tell me if I am claim a disability caused by a secondary service connected disability?  I have a service connected disability for asthma with a secondary disability for sleep apnea.  Can I claim a disability for an eye problem caused by the sleep apnea? If so, how?

Thank you for your help.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Yes.  One malady can cause multiple other problems.  Sometimes, like a "daisey chain":

Example:

Diabetes causes high blood pressure...HBP causes heart problems...kidney problems..etc., etc.  

So, lets say you have all these things..and your doctor prescribes High blood pressure meds which causes Erectile Dysfunction.  ED  can be secondary to high blood pressure, which is secondary to diabetes.  

You still need the "big 2" with secondaries:

1. Current diagnosis

2.  Nexus or statment from your doc that your "ED is at least as likely as not" due to medications from your (service connected) high blood pressure.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I notice in my award letter   they never used my private urologist that mention this

''it is at least likely as not due to medication from myS.C. PTSD medications''(& named them)for my ED Claim 

&  I paid him top dollar for that IMO/IME & this private Dr did a great job in his examination and read my medical records from the VA and did a great summary.

in the reason and bases they used the VA Urologist diagnose and exam  and he did mention the PTSD medication but I was thinking it was not enough  so I got the IMO.

So since they never mention my private Dr in their reason and bases  I may  have never needed that private Dr opinion??..but it all should be in my medical records  the private ones because they were submitted in with my ED Claim.

So I guess with ED Claims this may not be necessary for a private Dr to state?

I feel asI  waisted good $$$ Getting that IMO and never really needed it.  Had I known they would go with the VA Doc.

Did you get the SC ED rating Buck?

"I feel asI  waisted good $$$ Getting that IMO and never really needed it.  Had I known they would go with the VA Doc."

That is why it is imperative to try to obtain copies of C & P exams ASAP-

Sometimes they do help the veteran.

I feel, (and think I mentioned this to Shulkin some time ago) that C & P exam results should be attached to every decision because many vets do not know that they can get the results.

Do the contracted C & P exams show up these days on ebenefits?

I will mention it to the new Secretary- when I am sure of who he will be---maybe O Rourke does not need a confirmation hearing?

We have no rights of discovery as within civil law.....

In civil law- discovery allows all evidence for and against a claim, to be available to both opposing parties.

The very fact that good IMO/IMEs overturn so  many denials -is why I refer to private IMO./IME docs, as "real" doctors. They read everything in the medical record.

• Founder

@BertaI agree always get a copy of your c-file here's an article on HadIt.com about it https://www.hadit.com/requesting-your-va-c-file/ but you can do a google search and find other great information about your c-file and it's importance.

You never know how a c and p may have turned out for you until you read the report. The c-file, the c and p report,  your military service records and your military medical records along with a variety of other documents all represents intelligence you are gathering so that you can properly plan your next step.

Chris Attig of VeteransLawBlog.org offers a 3 hour video on What a C-file is and how to get it and use it for $49.99 I believe hadit.com members get a discount with code hadit.

Here's a short video about it

The VA C-File: How to Get It & How to Use It! (3+ hour VIDEO)

Yes, do get your C-file.  One C&P claimed I was an addict because I use pain medication.  This was not a good use of a veteran's time.

The only fly in the ointment is that "offsite" C&P's are very hard to get a hold of.  I had to request my C-file for the dates of C&P.  This slows the process greatly.

Onsite C&P's can usually be obtained from the records department of the Regional Office.