VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

After 9 Years, BVA Finally (Mostly) Granted, Drop Remand Issues?

Rate this question

acesup

Question

I'm 70% SC (50% for depression, 40% lumbar spine, 10% + 10% lower radiculopathies).    I put in for several secondary and/or aggravation issues which VARO denied way back in 2009, went through DRO review in 2011, then filed Form 9.  

Checked vets. gov yesterday, got this information

Current Status

The Board made a decision on your appeal

The Board of Veterans’ Appeals sent you a decision on your appeal. Here’s an overview of the decision:

Granted

The judge granted the following issues:

• Service connection, sleep apnea
  • Service connection, lung disease
  • Service connection, peripheral nerve paralysis
  • Service connection, central nervous system disease
  • 100% rating for individual unemployability
  • Service connection, lumbosacral or cervical strain
  • Increased rating, special monthly compensation
  • New and material evidence to reopen claim for service connection, migraines
  • New and material evidence to reopen claim for service connection, lumbosacral or cervical strain

If this decision changes your disability rating or your eligibility for VA benefits, you should see this change made in 1 to 2 months.

Two issues were remanded:  SC for migraines and sciatic nerve damage.

Now, I'm considering withdrawal of those two items.  My thoughts are that SC will make absolutely no difference to me, so why waste the VA's time on a remand when they could be working on another veteran's claim?  Can there possibly be any negative consequences to withdrawing them?  It's not like I'm going to die of either condition.

Congratulations!!!

Withdraw carefully only when you are certain it wont make a difference.  Did you calculate whether or not these disabilities will combine to 60 percent?  The reason is that SMC S statuatory is 100 plus 60, so thats another 354 per month.  

However, I do appreciate your concern over other Vets, but it wont help them, long term, if you withdraw and then change your mind.  

Edited by broncovet

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Congratulations!

I agree with @broncovet

Personally, I can admit that migraines can indeed be debilitating. If it was me, I would let the VA continue and render a decision on the deferred disabilities.

I agree that you should continue your claims.  The question of whether they should drop IU for a veteran at 65 has been raised by congress but it was put down.  We all know that once the cat is out of the bag it never goes back in.  They may some day implement that change.  Keep at it until you get 100% scheduler if you can.  

Congratulations to you! Wish you the rest and long awaited relief from the war of the VA !