• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chronic PTSD & Severe Depression Disorder

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Not sure what to do here?

Today 10/25/18 I was diagnosed with ''Severe Depression''

I was diagnosed with Chronic PTSD...June 10th 2015...today I was at the VAMC  and my L.C.S.W. SW 4 Mention to me I Had Severe Depression....I'm already S.C. for PTSD AT 70%

WE CAN'T HAVE TWO MH Ratings correct?

I said nothing about a claim or indicate I was filing a Claim.

I have not been sent a C&P for Re Evaluation  not sure if I will?

but having a Severe Depression Disorder Don't set to well with me...Do you think they will take my PTSD SC Away and reduce me to Depressions? not sure what the rating would be for severe Depressions but I think its the same criteria as PTSD  O% 10& 30% 50% 70% AND 100% 

I Have 70% S,C.PTSD  At Present.

Anybody know what they will do?  I have not read my  VA Notes yet won't be Available  until Monday the 29th

8 minutes ago, paulstrgn said:

resistant starch (not heard of that before) and fish oil.

glad you weren't offended.

I have had problems with my BP, Tri's and LDL all are very high. My HDL is low. My A1c was lasted rated at 6.4 which is at the borderline diabetic stage and my blood sugar has been on a roller coaster.

Interestingly the VA Dentist put me onto those and onto the Keto Diet .

The Resistant Starch is interesting. things like Potato STARCH (not flours) Green Bananas/plantains, Potatoes that were cooked and put in the fridge over night, or rice done the same way. The body uses that starch differently that it does regular carbs.

Worth looking into considering your current situation which can all get exceedingly worse and end up where I am if you are not careful.

I have learned not to get offended a long time ago, I prefer people you tell like it is. 

That is what concerns me is all the side affects from my disabilities, such as weight gain, lake of exercise, etc. I know what I need to do, its just doing it. I will retire next year and I am looking forward to it, I will retire somewhere in Florida just not sure where yet. I use to look forward to retirement but not as much anymore with all that is going wrong with me. I do try to work on my weight and fatigue from my back and will keep trying until it works. If I was single I would have already be retired but since I am not I need to make sure my wife and kids will be taken care of if something happens to me. 

I do worry about diabetes because of my weight, but I will work as hard as I cannot to get that disease.

1 minute ago, paulstrgn said:

I do worry about diabetes because of my weight

I really hate to sound like "that guy" but in reality if you are not yet diabetic  or pre-diabetic, one of the very best things you can do for yourself is change your diet. Instead of keto, look at Mediterranean. it is good for weight, cholesterol and BP. definitely the resistant starch and fish oil.

I really hate saying this but, after every meal take a 15 minute walk. it does not have to be fast, in fact start slow. The movement is good for digestion and will help burn any excess carbs your body is waiting to turn into fat.

I also take a statin for my stuff and what i learned in relation to that is that many of them are taken at night because when you sleep your body is going to be working hard to process all those carbs/glucose and with no activity there is nothing to slow down the process. When you walk after a meal, particularly a night meal, you burn off some of those excess carbs that are soon to become glucose and then fat.

I am from FL originally and I am willing to be you don't want to be viewed as one of those guys in bermuda shorts up to the naval with black socks and black shoes, wandering around the trailer park every evening. Avoid the old man wardrobe and do the walking!

I do try to eat right, more skinless chicken and vegetables and fruits. I really don't over eat as much as I need to exercise more. The pain keeps me from doing as much as I need to, but I do try. I can't walk as much after each meal because of work. I have a treadmill which I try to use as often as I am able to. The one advantage I have I lost my sense of smell which also made me lose my taste buds. So I don't enjoy food like I use too, which is good I now eat less ice cream and rarely do I drink a soda since they taste bad to me. 

I do appreciate the advice  and I will try to do as much as the things you suggest as possible.

9 minutes ago, paulstrgn said:

ry to do as much as the things you suggest as possible.

I hope something in those suggestions are new enough and effective enough to help you. It is a sad reality that when you are in pain and overweight, you move less and moving less causes weight gain and that causes  more pain...a vicious cycle. and the only way to break it is to break it. power through the pain or have surgery to remove weight. it is awful and a sad way to have to live our older years.

good luck i hope you can lose what you need to.

• HadIt.com Elder

Exercise is always good for the body and soul.

Most of the larger populated VAMC have swimming pools  mostly for veteran with Spinal Cord Injuries  but its also for other veterans to use  for exercise  so you might check on that...also if your city has YMCA ...check out their swimming pool.

I think the human body is a wonder...some people are over weight most of their life and it don't bother them health wise  (I'm sure they would love to be a normal weight  but since weight loss is one of the hardest things to do in life  most of us give up trying  my grandma was overweight in her latter years    she was a beautiful woman when she was young  ...from pictures I seen..but after she got older the weight stated in on her and she was morbid obese  but she was happy  this is when I remember her  she was way over weight but she constantly was happy and made everyone around her happy. she accepted her weight gain and admitted it was her fault and just went on to  live her life the best way she could, I'm sure she had some dark days and pain with RA ..I remember when I was a kid she use to ask me to rub some  Ben-Gay on her Back and shoulders  I had no Ideal at that time how she must have felt with the pain.

I have compassion for over weight people..I started gaining weight after I had to stop working  I sure could use to drop about 50lbs myself.

Its hard to get motivated to get out and MOVE exercise walk or do any type of physical movement...or I am just to damn lazy  one of the two.

Then there are people who smoke...and it don't seem to bother them one way or the other  some smoke until there last breath.

Me and my family don't smoke and can't stand to be around anyone who smokes

I see Veterans smoking outside at the VAMC when I go , and I think Wow I wish they knew what that was doing to heir body's...but like I mention for some smoking don't bother them  even when there older like in there 70's.80's.

We all need to take better care of our body's this is true  but I say its up to each and everyone to do as they please.  Most people are educated enough to know how to become healthy  & its their choice.

Edited by Buck52