• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chronic PTSD & Severe Depression Disorder

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Not sure what to do here?

Today 10/25/18 I was diagnosed with ''Severe Depression''

I was diagnosed with Chronic PTSD...June 10th 2015...today I was at the VAMC  and my L.C.S.W. SW 4 Mention to me I Had Severe Depression....I'm already S.C. for PTSD AT 70%

WE CAN'T HAVE TWO MH Ratings correct?

I said nothing about a claim or indicate I was filing a Claim.

I have not been sent a C&P for Re Evaluation  not sure if I will?

but having a Severe Depression Disorder Don't set to well with me...Do you think they will take my PTSD SC Away and reduce me to Depressions? not sure what the rating would be for severe Depressions but I think its the same criteria as PTSD  O% 10& 30% 50% 70% AND 100% 

I Have 70% S,C.PTSD  At Present.

Anybody know what they will do?  I have not read my  VA Notes yet won't be Available  until Monday the 29th

• HadIt.com Elder

I am just so involved in understanding all this and learning to deal with all this crap   And in the middle of therapy sessions  I don't have time to be worrying about claims or reduction crap  it just adds to my stress and makes it harder to deal with, actually to deal with anything.

In my opinion the VA Plays the roll of God And loves to make a Veteran life more miserable than it already is.

Buck,

I personally believe depression goes along with PTSD.  If you are disabled I believe depression kicks in too.  You are no longer able to do the things you once were able to do so you miss that loss.  Being disabled and not actively participating in life also is a loss in of itself.  You have a lot of time to think.  You do not see depression in people working day to day to survive, their lot is working hard and they do not have time for depression.  I honestly believe vets should be able to do some work as it helps their self esteem.  I currently work at a church as a volunteer off and on.  I hope this helps some.

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

Maybe that's why she mention I had severe depression

@Buck52

Depression, severe or not, is a common condition with many causes. And  @vetquest is right that having PTSD makes it a sure bet that you will have depression, severe, chronic, or major. All amount to the same thing in terms of your rating. It is Secondary to your PTSD. It is highly likely that your level of depression, and its near constant state (or whatever the therapist is reading in your homework) is a result of the nexus events.

Uncovering stuff like that is part of the rationale behind the repetitive nature of the homework in CPT.

Does this mean you will "get over it?" probably not, but if CPT works for you, then you should have more tools to deal with your issues. Picking up and using those tools then becomes a choice you make towards helping yourself.

Therapy is not a hit it and quit it kinda thing. Particularly when dealing with long-held, deep-seated events that we have tried to bury or ignore for years on end.  You may need multiple series of sessions in a particular therapy style to peel back the layers of that onion. You may then need to change to a different type of therapy if you "plateau" with the current one. Then again they may not work for you at all; that is not a failure, it is a reality that no therapy works for every person in every situation.

42 minutes ago, vetquest said:

You do not see depression in people working day to day to survive, their lot is working hard and they do not have time for depression.

@vetquest

As a commentary on society that statement is very powerful and very accurate. In First World societies like the U.S. most of us have copious hours every day not dedicated to merely surviving. Effectively we have leisure or "down" time. This is unlike life in Third World where daily existence is a constant battle.

Not to get religious but there is an old saying that "idle hands are the devils workshop" and what you wrote is the exact meaning of that old saw.

our minds can be our own worst enemies when we don't have stresses to keep them occupied and focused.

I am rated with PTSD and Major Depressive disorder as secondary to PTSD.  I’m sorry you’re struggling with therapy.  Years ago I decided to try the VA mental health clinic that’s local to me and had an awful experience. After that I refused to receive MH care through the VA.  I see an outside psychiatrist and therapist now and have done so for years.  My current therapist is doing EMDR with me, which can be rough, but has helped me in so many ways. Best or luck and try not to worry too much (easier said than done right!). Keep us updated on how things go.

• HadIt.com Elder

GeekySquid

My sentiments and thoughts also I like your ''onion'' analogy

Vetquest I believe  whole heartily what you mention about  not being able to work and have time on my hands to think ...so depression sets in. and the two PTSD/Depression are connected .

and with these younger generations they are to busy working staying busy  so depression (probably) never enters their mind ....and their mind is on'' other ''things'' but it could take its toll on them someday

. A build up of mind over matter without realizing it.

Although in some  people that are Severely Depressed will show no signs of Depression what so ever or any type of mental problem....>example I had a cousin that was good worker had a family, good family man 43 years old good job loved what he did out going personality,  love his kids took them on fishing trips and just an all around good guy , went to church and was just a great outstanding citizen in his community and & respected by his friends and neighbors..1 week after his 43 birthday  they found him in his bedroom shot himself in the temple with a high cal pistol. Everyone was  totally shock no one had any indication what so ever he would have done something like this, it was just not him..so he hid his Depression inside and he hid it very very well.

I had a good Vietnam Veteran friend that had PTSD we use to work together and he tried therapy and it just was not for him  so he work hard and tried his best to move on with his life   he was a POW for 5 years while in Vietnam , and he told of the Horrific Torture Events what all they would do to him and others  and its a wonder he made back alive,from  the horrific events the enemy put him and his Conrad's through...he never could get over all this and was tired of the hurt/pain it caused him...one night he took his life.

See there can be no signs of Depression with some people...  if they are signs and you recognize them do all you can to get that person help or at least advise it..of course its up to that particular person to seek the help he/she needs.

Although I have had no formal training with MH Problems just my opinion , I believe Depression/PTSD is different with each individual .

My therapist called me today to go over some things she missed with yesterday as time would not allow although we were 30 minutes over her allotted session time with me.

she called me today at home and wanted to go over some things she thought I should know and never had time yesterday to go over it with me and she was worried about me.

I listen to her we talked about an hour and then she let me go  she is sending me some packets to read and go over that she forgot to give me yesterday or  just run out of time  and answer some questions for me to bring back on my next session with her...This last session she did give me a break and never sent me home with the challenging work sheets...I been doing them now for 8 sessions and she wanted to give me a break.

I am not going to worry about if I improve and the R.O. Sends me to a C&P for reevaluation and possibly reduce my benefits by showing improvement..I'd rather have the improvement...yeah it could possibly cause financial hardship, but I'll just worry with that when and if that happens.??

I just want a life a good life to live before I take my dirt nap.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

To Every Hadit Member:

This is a very interesting discussion  if you have any Ideals or just want to give your 2 cents  please chime in.

Or you have a short story to tell good or bad or you found the help you needed  let us know what you did to recover.and it made a Difference in your Life.

Thank You in Advance.