VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100 % means What But MONEY ?? i feel stupid i told my kids about things

Rate this question

paulcolrain

Question

after receiving 100 % p and t i feel so stupid.... yes i love the money but wow..... i was under the assumption that my dependent children would get college for free. i was under the assumption that my dependents would get health care for free.... wow was i WRONG..... IF I DIED THEN YES... IF I CANT WORK TO DEVELOP A BETTER LIFE BECAUSE I WAS HURT WELL IM UP SHITS CREEK AND SO ARE MY KIDS.... WHAT WAS I READING THAT MADE ME THINK THIS? ITS ALL A FARSE. YES THE MONEY HELPS BUT I STILL CANT AFFORD CAR INSURANCE FOR MY DEPENDENTS, COLLEGE FOR THEM OR HEALTH CARE. 

9 hours ago, paulcolrain said:

some of the big time companies that usa citizens can join from botem up pay for pension and kids college...... whats the deal? besides that,,, has anyone on here seen what an E1 gets for pay theses days????? $1900 plus bha of 1500... thats monthly just as an E1......

wow service pays better than 10 years at home depot... but yes lets all buy current service persons a beer... and give nothing but a tax relief to a vet who served and got hurt. .. wow.......

I don't know of any Company that actually pay for the full cost of a dependents secondary  education.  Many companies will reimburse an employee for education cost, it the education is geared toward their job . Some may provide a benefit to help off set the cost, but again I can't think of any company that actually pays the full cost of a college education.

The PVT E1 should get better pay that someone working at Home Depot... the PVT E1 is required to be available 24/7 and has volunteered to put his life on the line, when was a laborer at Home depot every called to work at 2AM....or put their life on the line,  you can't make such comparisons between the two because they are apples and oranges.... 

I don't understand were your coming from.... tax relief is a big benefit  for many veterans , at least in my case... my tax relief literally would pays for a new vehicle  every 18 months... too some it is enough relief so that a veteran could purchase a home...... In Texas the only tax I pay is sales tax.. in Oklahoma 100% disabled veterans don't even pay a sales tax.....  so don't discount tax relief because it is  real money.

Edited by Richard1954

16 hours ago, paulcolrain said:

after receiving 100 % p and t i feel so stupid.... yes i love the money but wow..... i was under the assumption that my dependent children would get college for free. i was under the assumption that my dependents would get health care for free.... wow was i WRONG..... IF I DIED THEN YES... IF I CANT WORK TO DEVELOP A BETTER LIFE BECAUSE I WAS HURT WELL IM UP SHITS CREEK AND SO ARE MY KIDS.... WHAT WAS I READING THAT MADE ME THINK THIS? ITS ALL A FARSE. YES THE MONEY HELPS BUT I STILL CANT AFFORD CAR INSURANCE FOR MY DEPENDENTS, COLLEGE FOR THEM OR HEALTH CARE. 

You really sound like a glass half empty kind of guy....... I get it that  100% va compensation doesn't cover all the expenses someone many have... you just have to decide what is a priority and forget about the things that are not necessary.. It doesn't matter if  your disabled or not... 78% of all  people live paycheck to paycheck , most people have to forgo something .

23 hours ago, paulcolrain said:

thats the key.... this is the key ALL should know...... yes you get champva but its a 2nd insurance only and college is not free... vets 100 only gives money

If you are in California your children will get college free. Not sure what state you live in. By the way have you filed for SSDI? SSDI awarded also will give your children a pension and medical.

• HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, Ddsr said:

If you are in California your children will get college free. Not sure what state you live in. By the way have you filed for SSDI? SSDI awarded also will give your children a pension and medical.

Do you have the regulations on this  Californian veterans  that veteran kids can go to school(college) for free? if over age 28?

14 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Do you have the regulations on this  Californian veterans  that veteran kids can go to school(college) for free? if over age 28?

I have read the cutoff age for the benefits for education is age 26. I would still give it a try if I were you. You can apply for your children on E-Benefits. I also have the information for that.

How Can You Apply for VA Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance?

We strongly recommend that you enlist the services of a Veteran Service Officer before you submit your application. They will review your application, helping ensure it has all the information the VA requires. If you do not have a VSO yet, the NVF will help you find one. Simply call us at 888-777-4443.

After finding a program approved for VA training, complete VA Form 22-5490, Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance, and submit it to the VA regional office that serves the state where you will train. You can also apply online through the VA’s web site.

• The child of a veteran who is totally disabled due to service-connected disabilities or whose death was officially rated as service-connected is eligible. The child must be over 14 years old and under 27 years old to be eligible. If the child is a veteran, then the age limit is extended to age 30;

On 1/19/2019 at 3:12 AM, Ddsr said:

I am 100% PT and also receive SSDI    My children do not receive any sort of medical other than Champva and they do receive some part of SS that is awarded to them until they are 18.  I believe he is saying his children are over 26???  Chapter 35 stops at age 26.  Some states do have education benefits for those children of disabled veterans rated over a certain percentage, some of them have to be wounded in combat, have a purple heart, have served post 9/11 etc.  Every state has different criteria or has no benefits at all.  Each state is different and it is up to the individual to do their homework.  Kinda shocked that someone would assume that after being awarded 100% that the free fairy would swoop in and pay for everything.  NOPE if you are a family of 5 and have no other income which it seems like this person does seeing that their spouse is being medically retired they aren't in the poor house at all.  Research is your best friend, sorry you didn't do your due diligence and actually read the regulations on chapter 35 before announcing to your children what the benefits would be.  If they are over 26 then they should be out on their own unless they are disabled anyway in reality but hey all families are different.  My older kids didn't have chapter 35 and they were just fine without it for the first few years in college, they worked and we helped them as best we could.  It is what families do.  Best of luck.