Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing eval. question for increase

Rate this question

Riplip

Question

Ok I know the hearing thing has been knocked around a bunch. I have read many posts and still can't figure out my next move. I just had a hearing test yesterday at Mass Eye and Ear (the top dogs around here). All my hearing appts are done down there at the request of the VA because i've been diagnosed with bilateral Menieres. I am SC 20% for bilateral hearing loss. My test shows a word recognition of 16% in my right ear and 54% in my left ear. I have severe hearing loss in my left ear and profound in my right ear. I am going for a Cochlear Implant eval as soon as they make my appointment and then i'll schedule surgery and figure out all those other issues with healing and relearning how to hear in that ear.  My question is should i file for an increase now or wait until after surgery? The chart they gave me i really don't know how to read to put in the hearing test calculator. Thanks for any thoughts. 

• Answers 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Another question I have is, Do I have a C&P after this hearing test or is this it? I guess I'll just wait to see. For a rating increase I guess all they need is the tests. 

My bad. The first paragraph of the paperwork says "A request was sent to us by the VA to handle your compensation/pension exams" guess that's my answer haha

That exam was really weird but I think it went well. Who knows could be a crap shoot. The woman was actually really tough with asking questions about history, injuries and my military job and hearing protection. Then we started the tests in the booth. Once that was done she said that her equipment couldn't measure the speech recognition in my right ear it was so gone. She then said it was right on with the Mass Eye and Ear test I had done in April. She then got really sympathetic and started talking about me going to get a cochlear implant and why it would be good for me and stuff like that. I guess regardless all I can do is wait and see. 

• HadIt.com Elder

See, I told you to be nice. It always is better than not (at least during a VA exam!)

Absolutely. Just a waiting game now. Thank you