Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing eval. question for increase

Rate this question

Riplip

Question

Ok I know the hearing thing has been knocked around a bunch. I have read many posts and still can't figure out my next move. I just had a hearing test yesterday at Mass Eye and Ear (the top dogs around here). All my hearing appts are done down there at the request of the VA because i've been diagnosed with bilateral Menieres. I am SC 20% for bilateral hearing loss. My test shows a word recognition of 16% in my right ear and 54% in my left ear. I have severe hearing loss in my left ear and profound in my right ear. I am going for a Cochlear Implant eval as soon as they make my appointment and then i'll schedule surgery and figure out all those other issues with healing and relearning how to hear in that ear.  My question is should i file for an increase now or wait until after surgery? The chart they gave me i really don't know how to read to put in the hearing test calculator. Thanks for any thoughts. 

• Answers 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Thats Great!!

get what you deserve don't let them low-ball you on your hearing loss.

Thanks I plan too. He also had a backup if they come in low and other claims to work on since my vestibular issue is so complex. He said we have different angles and unfortunately it takes time. He said if we claim all of them some cancel others out and it'll stall in the system for a long time. I have multiple diagnosis that stem from the same problem so its a matrix of ways to maximize my rating. He layed out a timeline of steps. I was impressed. Not like going to someone that doesn't open your email/file for an appointment until you are sitting right in front of them. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Thats Right GB Army...its hard to find a good VSO now days.

well one that knows what he/she is doing.

This is why I love Hadit 

The experience and expertise  of the  hadit members   such as yourself is better than you can get anywhere else in my opinion...>  if a veteran  wants to work his/her claim them self.

Edited by Buck52

Well tomorrow I go for a hearing test for the increase I filed for a couple weeks ago. I hope the person does it well and doesn't somehow write in wrong answers (heard some bad stories) typically I'm not nervous because I've done multiple hearing exams a year for many many years but this one is going through a VES and I've never experienced a outside contractor working for the VA. Not sure if I can trust them but I have the test from 4/11/19 I did at Mass Eye and Ear to appeal if need be. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Good luck tomorrow. Ask the vendor if they have read your report from Mass Eye and Ear; bring a copy with you just in case. Be polite; you have an ace because of the other report so it should result well for you. Let us know how you make out. I had an outside contractor do mine and I did my best to be pleasant and not confrontational (always during a C&P).  She gave me a good rating. Sometimes, it is just the luck of the draw. By the way, I assume you have also been evaluated before concerning tinnitus. If so and you do get a disability for it, don't bring it up yourself. It is a separate disability and you aren't there for re-eval for that. If they ask about it, just try to remind them you still have it, BUT you aren't there for that. 

Yes I have 10% for that already. Good idea with the copy of the Mass Eye and Ear report. I will certainly bring in a copy. Yes I will take deep breathes in the aprking lot and try to be polite the whole time lol. Thanks GBArmy