VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

10-10EZ

Rate this question

Al329

Question

Sorry if this is a basic question ....

Just had my first C&P, I must say the people at McGuire were very nice and I though the Doc was great.

But when I went to check in...I was told I needed to fill out a 10-10EZ after my exam. Registration was closing after my exam so they just gave me a hard copy to fill out and fax back.

I figured it would be online..and it is. Issue and my question is, it wants my wifes SSN. Ok shes not American and doesn't have one. Website wont let me skip the SSN...so I'll have to hand jam it and fax it.

So question...anyone file the 10-10EZ as married who has a foreign spouse sans SSN? If this going to be a problem? If I get anything...it wont be over 10% ... so I don't see the need for spouse and family info at this point.

Tks!

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes if we lived in the States .. green card and all that would be good...just don't reside Stateside right now. Plus all that cost to apply for.. and as yet we have not had the need to put in for it.

As for citizen .. some counties don't allow dual.

I got my wife's Green Card and SSN while overseas (a week after getting married). We were required to get her SSN for tax purposes. This was years ago and things may have changed but we went to the American Consulate to get it done. She kept her German Citizenship for 25 years before becoming a U.S. Citizen. She wanted to keep her German Citizenship in case something happen to me, she could have moved back to German. Her Green Card was good for life (that has changed in that I believe they have to renew it every 10 years now) but it had become a pain to travel with her German Passport / Green Card (there were other reasons also), she became a U.S. Citizen. You do not need to be dual Citizenship, and she can keep her foreign Passport and still have a SSN.  

3 hours ago, vetquest said:

I agree fully with broncovet and paulstrgn.  If you are a citizen you have rights.  If you are not a citizen and get into trouble it could turn out bad for you, like deportation.

I have seen this happen before and the person cannot even come back to visit family.

With a green card you cannot be outside the US for than one year (there are certain times this does not apply) you can lose your green card. There are pros and cons to not becoming a US citizen. I have a friend whose spouse is Japanese and she does not want to naturalize because Japan does not recognize dual citizenship. 

If for no other reason you want to naturalize because immigration benefits is very expensive and is always going up in cost.

10 hours ago, broncovet said:

I dont know if you can receive VA benefits if you "give up" your US citizenship.  You should check into that.  

I was speaking of her citizenship...Germany wont allow dual.

I'm 100% merican forever 😉