Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exam with VES Physician Assistant, good thing?

Rate this question

glashutte

Question

I have my C&p exam with a physician assistant next week. Is this a good thing? 

I'm assuming it is because if the PA disagrees with anything I've claimed, I can just submit evidence of my civilian doctor's notes that agrees with my claims right? Since doctor opinion > PA opinion. Does the VA take the more credentialed opinion, or only when it is their own?

5 answers to this question

• Adminstrator

This is a very good question.  So from my own experience is it could make a slight difference.  

Here is what I understand to happen.  When they look at your records the RO will issue a C&P examination to get a third party per say to do a medical evaluation.  So this is one opinion.  Then you have your own doctor.  this is another.  Then you have your PA.  So you have 3 now.  

The good thing about the C&P is this gives you the chance to present your information to make your case.  So whatever you are going in with bring your doctors notes with you.  I always let them see the notes when making their decision as they are allowed to take it as a medical opinion and then take the rules they are given and apply them.

You want to show to what degree you are disabled.  

• HadIt.com Elder

It doesn't really matter. What matters is what the PA writes up. If it is favorable and it supports your claim great. It it isn't favorable because he/she doesn't do what they should., not so much. It really depends upon how competent the examiner is. If you appeal, and your dr.'s notes are in conflict with the results, the tie is supposed to go to the veteran. That doesn't mean it always comes out that way, and you end up appealing again. In theory, anyone the VA has to conduct the exam is supposed to be competent enough to do the exam. That doesn't necessarily mean that the PA doing your exam is or is not competent to examine your particular disability. This all assumes that your dr.'s IMO meets the criteria of saying he has reviewed all your medical record, in his professional opinion your disability was S-C and the reasons why. As Shrek just said, it is best to bring your dr.'s opinion/notes/dbq's with you and ask if they had a chance to review them. That may very well help the examiner formulate a favorable opinion. Of course if they say no they haven't seen the paperwork and it turns out that your C&P is unfavorable, you then have an avenue for appeal .

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I filed a recent claim with a nexus, but the VA is sending me for a C&P anyway. I called 1-800-827-1000 and the lady explained that because my private doc did not fill out a DBQ, they are just going through the motions to get that info in order to determine the rating %. Not sure if you are in a similar situation to me though.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Or in my case the C&P examiner was pissed I handed her an outside IME/Nexus.  She asked where I found the Dr.  I didn't think it was relevant.  Even though I had a good amount of evidence for an increase, she crafted her C&P in a way to reduce.  All because she didn't like the manner in which I obtained my evidence.  So there is that risk.  However, I am in the process of filing a complaint against her with the VBA regional director.  We shall see how it plays out.  Also, at the end, she said I defiantly should get the increase.  What a crock.

You can knock down a C & P opinion with medical evidence and common sense-but the best thing to do is get an IMO/IME from a real doctor- one who has expertise in the field of the disability.

I got some crappy posthumous C & P results, because the dead veteran, my husband, could not speak for him-

the last one was ordered by the BVA- My only case there- and they ordered a cardio opinion, I already had three IMos in favor of the claim, but I ordered a cardio opinion as well- when the C & P exam came, it was done by a PA and he didnt have a clue on cardiology. I rebutted the exam with the BVA and told them his opinion was too speculative.

I waited for the cardio IMO and the decision arrived- soon after they got my rbuttal and they agreed with me the PA opinion was too speculative and not what they ordered.

The cardio forensic firm refunded about half of that IMO fee whe they found out. They had not prepared the IMO yet.

VA had 3 C & Ps against the claim ( all ridiculous) and I had 3 for the claim -all outstanding, 2 from Dr Bash and one freebee from a former VA Neurologist. The BVA shit canned the PA crap.

What bothered me the most is that I had so much evidence the BVA never mentioned at all. It could have helped someone else,reading the decision. But they said the claim was at least in Equipoise (it was far beyond that- I didnt pay thousands for IMos without knowing I would win.)

Undiagnosed and untreated DMII from AO contributing to my husband's death. The award trumped the wrongful death 1151, ---direct SC death.

Peace with Honor.

His AO IHD award was similar, another malpracticed issue.But this claim was filed for Direct SC death.AO IHD was filed under both 1151 CUE and AO IHD direct SC.

Those VA C & P exams, regarding my husband, even two from an Endocrinologist were full of holes...it was quite obvious that the C & P Endo doctor was willing to say anything at all, to deny the claim. BS to that.

VA pays 900 bucks for each C & P exam from these practitioners  ( VES, QTC, LHI) as I understand it.

And they know what VA expects from them.

Many vets I am sure DO get a good positive C & P exam, but most of those vets are not here....

Good for you- file a complaint against her . You might have more input if you file a complaint with the contractor who hired her. There contact info is here somewhere.

But if they do award, is it worth a complaint?

reason I asked is some VHA idiot replied to a WH complaint I filed on a C & P examiner who said my husband was present at the exam. (But he had been dead for years by then-I forget what claim it was for.)

It surprised me because my other White House complaint went to the OAWB and it garnered S 221 , a Bill in the Senate H VAC.

The VHA guy just kept saying there is no connection between VHA and VBA and I wonder where he got that idea.I guess it worked on some WH complaints.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.