VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD tbi

Rate this question

Phild523

Question

So the va had an ace exam done for my tbi to determine occupational and social impairment between ptsd and tbi. Dr stated that the majority come of occupational and social impairment come from ptsd with a small minority due to tbi residuals. My claim went back to gathering of evidence. I called my vso and that said the va sent the examiner to ask to please differentiate between the symtoms and impairment between the two. I thought they were going to be combined anyway but this just keeps stalling the claim. Think they would probably just give me 70 for the both combined.  Anyone ever have this happen?

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
16 minutes ago, Phild523 said:

So the va had an ace exam done for my tbi to determine occupational and social impairment between ptsd and tbi. Dr stated that the majority come of occupational and social impairment come from ptsd with a small minority due to tbi residuals. My claim went back to gathering of evidence. I called my vso and that said the va sent the examiner to ask to please differentiate between the symtoms and impairment between the two. I thought they were going to be combined anyway but this just keeps stalling the claim. Think they would probably just give me 70 for the both combined.  Anyone ever have this happen?

Actually it would be to your advantage the examiner differentiate between the two PTSD/TBI    you can get rated /service connected for both   the TBI can sure give you more medical problems down the road or as you get older  other major medical problems can occur.

so when they differentiate between the two  it makes it a lot easier to file a claim  when this does happen   sometimes I think (just my opinion) they try to cover all the  medical problems the TBI can cause but thats mostly unlikely because there are many many causes from the TBI Alone

We have a vet's wife here with the same situation---I forget who it is---

I responded to her how the VA ( after a battle) was able to separate my husband's brain trauma from his PTSD-

it was not  TBI- it was brain damage caused by VA, but the same type of "injury" for rating purposes.

The results were, ( after another battle that took so long he was dead before he saw these ratings):

100% P & T SC PTSD, and 100% P & T 1151 stroke.

I had other significant evidence as well as the psychological tests they gave him. 

I often wonder if he had a minor TBI in Vietnam. His buddy was in a tank to his left at an intersection, but the marine ,handling the  first traffic that AM (The intersection had been "swept" but only by seeing Marine jeeps tire marks over it- ) , waved his buddy onto the intersection first. The tank blew up and my husband was thrown from a deuce and a half- he said he was not knocked out long because he recovered what was left of his buddy.

The enemy had skillfully used American  jeep tires to make it appear the intersection was safe.

When we were at the Travelling Wall he did some tracings of his buddy's Wall info and sent it to the VA. They never mentioned it-he had so many other stressors, I guess they didn't need to.

When he was at the Wall in DC before I met him ( the Vet Center took a trip there) he was too upset to ask for the panel info. If you have the Buddy's real name, and their Hometown, and an approximate date they died, they can direct you to the proper panel, and you can trace the panel on a document that confirms you were at the Wall.

The Wall in Washington DC is magnificient and overwhelming.I was there the day after the dedication, and thousands of vets and civilians were still at the Wall. I hope the Travelling wall comes to NY again.

I think the Wall can be searched on line as well.

I was on this path for 2 years fighting to separate them. There is nothing you can do I know allot of people will say yes you can or actually have them separate due to each being low percentage. But like in my case their doctors separated the symptoms of each my TBI and PTSD and also assigned a percentage to each 70% TBI and 30% PTSD but they decided that if it’s combined residuals of a tbi with PTSD symptoms assigned it 100% P and T rating. I have multiple other disabilities that would put me at 100% but the P and T apparently is better and requires no more exams. So I’m done fighting wasting my families time and life. What’s your endgame goal?

• HadIt.com Elder

Just a Note?**

For your information

TBI's veterans only  or any Veterans Injured in the line of Duty While Active serving in a combat zone or enemy territory. 

I was reading the requirements for the  Purple Heart Awards

If you have been injured in the line of duty while serving in combat zone or was injured due to the enemy fire   you can request a P.H.

This means any IED, RSB,  Incoming missiles, mortars and of course Gun shot wounds and other type injury's.

If you have these qualification  request the PH  it will be good for your family generations to come.

submit the event (what happen) with medical records describe your injury and your unit name and location and date.

Edited by Buck52