VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How hard is it to get help from the VA?

Rate this question

Ronc531

Question

Not sure what it's called but I am wondering if I can get the VA to pay for things I need to get around my house.

I am at 90% and i am at the max for my rt knee. I have a lot of trouble standing from a sitting position in a regular hight chair. is it possible to get the VA to buy me something that sits me up higher? I use a extra cushion now to help me stand but still need to use both arms to push me up. Now I am having issues with my shoulders being sore and I know that is what's causing it.

My house is also a 3 stories high and I have trouble walking up the stairs all the stairs, it can be really hard to walk up and because i have stability problems with my knee buckling i can only walk down the steps one at a time.

what do I need to do to have the VA help me out?

Edited by Ronc531

6 answers to this question

• Founder

Talk to your primary care doc about the help you need. Ask to speak to a social worker and ask what kind of help you might qualify for. Somethings the doc will need to write a prescription for prosthetics who will meet with you and then give you a decision.

they are installing a stairlift for me though I am 100% and I don’t know if that made a difference. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you just need to go to your VAMC and Ask your PCP as Ms T mention.

90% is pretty disabled  and you should quailfy for things you need at home, you may need to apply for ILP Independent Living Program and talk to the counselor  for things that you need  they may come out and inspect your home and see what would help you get around better in your home.

....Have you thought about applying for increase on your present condition? or maybe a secondary condition like your shoulders?? 

you being at 90% I am not sure you would qualify for these things but some times they make exceptions or use the special circumstance rule?

Also you may think about selling your home and buy a single story...just a thought!

• HadIt.com Elder

Also check the AHG

Adopted Housing Grant...they may can fit you with a stair claimer seat that fits onto the wall next to the stair railings  or some special devise like that?

I am not 100%sure on this? or how to qualify for something like that  ILP would know  but if they say no don't give up  just go to the next higher VA Authority's keep fighting until you get what you need.

Ok... so  what you need to do is speak with your va doctor and he will likely write prescriptions for the Hospital under the HISA  ( Home improvement structural  alterations) program to  install the items you need there is a limit on how much you can spend, depending if you need the equipment for service connection or if it is related to a problem not service connected.

check here https://www.prosthetics.va.gov/psas/HISA2.asp

and see the handbook that I up loaded

Handbook 1173.14 Home improvements (HISA).pdf

7 hours ago, Tbird said:

Talk to your primary care doc about the help you need. Ask to speak to a social worker and ask what kind of help you might qualify for. Somethings the doc will need to write a prescription for prosthetics who will meet with you and then give you a decision.

they are installing a stairlift for me though I am 100% and I don’t know if that made a difference. 

Thank you Tbird, I will talk with my doctor, i have an appointment in September.