VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Drug Screen

Rate this question

Grumpbox

Question

I’m sure this question will raise many opinions/responses, but I will go on post for any feedback. Also, I was unsure where to post this, topic-wise.

Questions:

1. What is considered “Consent” for a drug screen through the VA?

2. Is the VA (and any type of employee though the VA) required to obtain consent for a drug screen?

3. What are the forms of consent?  Written, “iMedConsent,” and/or telephonic—when recorded and not recorded with VA witness? 

Situational question to stir the research:

If a Veteran gets called in for an annual blood/urine test, and VA employee making the call describes these tests as ‘routine,’ thereby confirming time and place with Veteran telephonically - does this constitute “Consent” for anything the VA wants to test you for? 

The most information I can find for this is found here:

viewpublication.asp?pub_id=2055

There is much talk talk about the 4th and 5th Amendment vs how the VA does what they want and when they want, disregarding policy outlined to follow.

I am just seeking input from those with more knowledge in this area.

Thank you greatly to anyone that jumps in for discussion!!

Grumpbox...

I would say that if you decide to have a blood test or any other procedure that is informed consent. I was required to have blood testing for drugs when I was using VA prescribed pain killers,  I never signed anything but the doctor did inform me. I have steroid injections in my knees every 4 months, I have to sign to get them, don't know why since my presence at an appointment to get them is proof enough to me that I have consented. 

I would say if your scheduled for something you should know what the appointment is for , if you don't have any idea prior to the appointment ask... if you don't like the answer cancel the appointment.  I think the VA has an obligation to tell us up front what procedures they want to do and why.  I don't think  the policy you pointed out would hold water in a court of law, and I especially think if they want to test for HIV or any other serious disease they damn well better be up front about it.. I personally have always refused testing for HIV and Hep C.... I am not in the least bit concerned that I have either disease and frankly the last thing I want to know is that I have another medical problem.

• HadIt.com Elder

I just had a steroid shot last week. I had to sign a consent form (electronically.) That has been my experience for the last few years at least. I would expect you could get a written copy, before or after you sign if you wanted.

If you want your meds you have to consent to periodically blood testing for some of them if you are on them continuously or in pain management. If it don't they won't prescribe them to you. 

that document has an expiration date in 2014, so there is an update somewhere.

My question is what is motivating your interest in getting informed consent.

In my experience with VAMC and blood draws, I always ask exactly what they are testing for, and when I get medical jargon i make them explain and take notes. I look up the tests they say they are making and validate the responses I get from the Dr.

I have turned down tests when they failed to make it clear what they are testing for.

I have no problem with them testing for standard batteries like HIV and Hep when they do other blood tests like they recently did for my pituitary function.

What I do object to, and this is a personal thing and kind of complicated, is the collection of DNA for genome mapping. The VA has a program running to get volunteers for a 1 million veteran samples.

While their literature makes this sound noble, there is For-Profit motive in their partners in this data collection (which they keep really quiet about) and I object to people making money off my info without my consent and without getting paid what I would consider a fair share of any new drug or treatment that comes from that data.

I don't like my email and phone number "being sold" or my credit rating, address, etc, so you might imagine that the most personal, unique part of myself being sold/traded/used by anonymous strangers gets under my skin.

I don't mind that law enforcement and government has my DNA, fingerprints etc. I do mind if it is used for some random company to make a profit from.

Once you give informed consent you lose any control, input or profit from what you have given away. I don't care for that situation. It is my private information and if anyone deserves to make a profit from it, it is me.

Just my opinion.

• HadIt.com Elder

Geeky

Do you have a source for the genome mapping and for profit that you referred to. I'd like to know more on that.

1 minute ago, GBArmy said:

Do you have a source for the genome mapping and for profit that you referred to. I'd like to know more on that.

If you mean the specific backing of the VA program, I cannot find that bookmark at the moment. My VA related bookmarks are in the thousands.

It was significant when I first read it because it was in an announcement about the program from the VA. It came out at the same time one of our crankier billionaires was discovered to be collecting DNA for cancer research and his process was not exactly transparent. He is one of our more "white centric" believers and funds a lot of shall we say, less than "all americans are equal" causes. His infamy and this involvement in this type cause caught my attention.

If you want more general info about for profit genome mapping, google is your friend.

look for variants of "who is making money off your DNA."

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20190301-how-screening-companies-are-monetising-your-dna

is one example. There is also a startup or two that is now paying for DNA.

As a rule of thumb anytime I see some company or group offering anything for free or cheap, there is another line of profit involved.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marketshare/2012/03/05/if-youre-not-paying-for-it-you-become-the-product/#46a3ba4f5d6e

that link and other variants of the same concept abound, particularly in this age of Digital Information.