VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Success Stair Glide and Home Health Aide and Voc Rehab ILP

Rate this topic

Tbird

That is good news.

48 minutes ago, Tbird said:

She even answers her phone.

I must say it is sad when someone answers there phone at work is a good thing. Are we not all supposed to answer our phones at work?

• HadIt.com Elder

This is good news Ms T...hang in there with the Voc Rehab   sounds like 2020 Is going to be a good year for all of us.  let us  know how it all works out...sounds encouraging to me.

Paul some Voc Rehab counselors are useless and will not answer their phone  especially when we need them.

Sounds like Ms T has a good V-R counselor.   its very important to us veterans that we do get a decent caring Voc Rehab Counselor.

I HAD ONE BACK IN 1999 AND IT MADE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE.

He went that extra Mile for me. 

Tbird...I apologize.  I failed to carefully read your post.   YOU Qualify for SMC L (Aid and Attendance), based on what you posted.  (You have a nurse coming to your home 7 hours a week).   My advice is for you to apply for SMC L, if you havent already.  Read the criteria for A and A, below, to see if you agree and think you qualify:

Note:  The VA puts in the critiera AND BEDRIDDEN.  This does not mean you have to be bedridden to get A and A, but if you are bedridden, you qualify.  

§ 3.352 Criteria for determining need for aid and attendance and “permanently bedridden.”

(a) Basic criteria for regular aid and attendance and permanently bedridden. The following will be accorded consideration in determining the need for regular aid and attendance (§ 3.351(c)(3): inability of claimant to dress or undress himself (herself), or to keep himself (herself) ordinarily clean and presentable; frequent need of adjustment of any special prosthetic or orthopedic appliances which by reason of the particular disability cannot be done without aid (this will not include the adjustment of appliances which normal persons would be unable to adjust without aid, such as supports, belts, lacing at the back, etc.); inability of claimant to feed himself (herself) through loss of coordination of upper extremities or through extreme weakness; inability to attend to the wants of nature; or incapacity, physical or mental, which requires care or assistance on a regular basis to protect the claimant from hazards or dangers incident to his or her daily environment. “Bedridden” will be a proper basis for the determination. For the purpose of this paragraph “bedridden” will be that condition which, through its essential character, actually requires that the claimant remain in bed. The fact that claimant has voluntarily taken to bed or that a physician has prescribed rest in bed for the greater or lesser part of the day to promote convalescence or cure will not suffice. It is not required that all of the disabling conditions enumerated in this paragraph be found to exist before a favorable rating may be made. The particular personal functions which the veteran is unable to perform should be considered in connection with his or her condition as a whole. It is only necessary that the evidence establish that the veteran is so helpless as to need regular aid and attendance, not that there be a constant need. Determinations that the veteran is so helpless, as to be in need of regular aid and attendance will not be based solely upon an opinion that the claimant's condition is such as would require him or her to be in bed. They must be based on the actual requirement of personal assistance from others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder
On 11/26/2019 at 7:23 AM, broncovet said:

Tbird...I apologize.  I failed to carefully read your post.   YOU Qualify for SMC L (Aid and Attendance), based on what you posted.  (You have a nurse coming to your home 7 hours a week).   My advice is for you to apply for SMC L, if you havent already.  Read the criteria for A and A, below, to see if you agree and think you qualify:

Note:  The VA puts in the critiera AND BEDRIDDEN.  This does not mean you have to be bedridden to get A and A, but if you are bedridden, you qualify.  

well it appears that the va requested all my microfiched records from the VA so I have no idea why they need that from smc L but it gives me the willies i hope this does not mean anything negative for me. 

the voc rehab independent living contractor is coming next wednesday to check out my living situation they say it takes about 2 hours and I am hopeful that it will be very helpful.

Requesting your records is usual whenever you request an increase or apply for new benefits.  You have nothing to worry about, unless you have actually improved. 

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

But, yes, you do have to agree to let VA see your records.  

When you apply for SMC L (aid and attendance) its almost always a C and P exam, and the c and p examiner has to "review your records".  

After all, you have told VA you need help with basic needs, and it sounds like you do.  Criteria for A and A:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.352

Based on your post, you have someone coming to help you several days a week.  Why would they order that if you did not need it??

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms T, Bronc makes a lot of sense (usually does.) If we put in for an increase, the VA has to see if conditions have changed. If we request an increase, we are saying that things have changed FOR THE WORSE. Sounds to me like things aren't getting better for you physically. You are going to be fine. Chin up!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use