VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU never applied for?

Rate this question

Kybar

Question

So I got the call from my attorney the other day that a decision has been made on my appeal. Upon a quick pop into VA.gov it shows TDIU under closed and granted. I never applied for TDIU. My attorney said it was remanded with my claim from the BVA?  A2DFDDBE-3138-44CE-BDF2-20577A1826D7.thumb.png.1d6d9967a65346ba939ba74ae7627320.png

• HadIt.com Elder

Kybar   Great new to you. Congratulations!!! Now, a word of caution: wait to get your confirming disability letter. In writing! I take it you are not working now. You should consider SSDI if you haven't already started the process. Do your homework on SMC's, special monthly compensation, also. You may be now or in the future eligible for additional comp. Your dependents will have benefits also. The money hitting your bank account can take a while. Again, congrats.

I have still been working. I miss a lot of time and I am working against the doctors recommendations however I have continued to work part time since my third surgery in 2015. I never even applied for TDIU is what caught me off guard. The BVA added it on per my attorney.  And I know what you are saying about waiting things out. Nothing has been updated and rating has not increased yet. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I must be miss understanding this...you say BVA Added the IU ? or your attorney added it? 

if you get IU your not supposed to be able to work  but being rated 100% maybe you can?

but here is the kicker   why would you want IU if your all your SERVICE CONNECTED CONDITIONS add up to the 100%

I never heard of this  given IU this way

.100% rating for Individual unemployability 

IU was never on the claim. It was added as a remand when the bva kicked it back. The VA doctors and the personal Ortho both stated I should not be working. But I am currently only 20% and don’t really have a choice. 

• HadIt.com Elder

If your ratings total up to 100%  yes you do have a choice  who is telling you you don't?

If they give you the IU at a 100% rating  then you can't work.   or if you have 100% s.c. conditions   the IU pays the same as 100%.

If I was you I would sure ask to be 100% and not IU, The only advantage with IU is if your sc conditions only combined to or under the 100 %  &say 90%  then they infer the IU and the SMC are usually there  like SMC S House Bound Because you can't leave home to work,  you can also get your SSDI.  But you can get  your SSDI with the 100% stand alone rating and also work..the basic difference is 100% pays the same as IU but with IU Your not suppose to be working  opposed to the 100% scheduler rating where you can work and no problem...Veterans that get the IU and still work take a big big chance on get the IU Proposal to reduce.

Buck, from what I read, he is/was currently only 20%

Then, he got granted a bunch of stuff plus TDIU.

So, we really don't know anything until he gets the letter, and only then.  I wouldn't take anyone's word or va.gov screenshot until I seen the letter myself.

All his new ratings could ad up to 30, 40, 50, through 90, and they gave him TDIU too.

Or he could be at 100 schedular, and then I don't know regards TDIU.

Letter, letter, letter, until then,

Hamslice

But, 100%, either way, is better than 20%, everyday!!