Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Champva or Medicare for all

jfrei

Question

Not that it’s every going to be to the candidates but what happens to champva if Medicare for all becomes an actual thing? We will be forced to give up our champva that we earned and have to put money we don’t have into Medicare for all... just a thought ...

@jfrei, from what I am understanding, if they get their way for Medicare for all our healthcare will go the way everyone else's does.  We will be forced out of Tricare and ChampVA.  You will only be able to have supplemental coverage to cover what Medicare for all does not cover.  The VA will still exist and we might be forced to get all of or care there, I am not sure on this.  The worst thing about this is that you will get all of the care deemed necessary for you.  They don't deem it necessary and you don't get it.  

This is the Congressional Bill for 2019-2020 Medicare for all program.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/1384

Speculating on "what will happen if..." is rarely productive and such is the case with VA.  

Suffice it to say this:   If there is "medicare for all" it has to be paid for somewhere, and ONE place that is possible is cuts to VA medical care.  Or, maybe a "stork" will deliver some 100 billion per year, or more, to pay for the medical insurance premiums for all, since most government agencies dont want their budgets cut to pay for it.  And, raising taxes is not a great idea either, unless you are ok with the way some countries do it.  They provide universal health care for all, but take about 75 percent of everyones income for taxes to pay for it.  

Some of the countries who do this are here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_with_universal_health_care

On this list, it appears the citizens of the USA fare better economically than just about all other countries.  

If (an this is a big IF) this happens, the middle class will be taxed, taxed, and taxed.  Excellent world map above in Bronco vet's post.

My husband (who spent time in the UK can tell you all about the two-tiered health system) was very glad to come home to the US.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
On 11/2/2019 at 7:47 PM, vetquest said:

...The worst thing about this is that you will get all of the care deemed necessary for you.  They don't deem it necessary and you don't get it.  

Sadly, this does not sound much different than what we get already

On 11/4/2019 at 8:51 AM, Vync said:

Sadly, this does not sound much different than what we get already

Lol I was thinking the same thing either that or your family’s bill will come back and say we won’t pay for it it’s out of network suck it up buttercup and pay it yourself....

There is a shortage of GP's where we live, and a lot have gone into the concierge type of system.  That is how I lost my former GP (she is now with MDVIP which costs 1800.00 per year)

Talk about a two-tiered health care system.   😠