VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Champva or Medicare for all

jfrei

Question

Not that it’s every going to be to the candidates but what happens to champva if Medicare for all becomes an actual thing? We will be forced to give up our champva that we earned and have to put money we don’t have into Medicare for all... just a thought ...

This is a problem with health care today.  If you have insurance you should be able to get treated, unless you have Medicare or other government sponsored healthcare.  Doctors are deciding that treating Medicare or government sponsored care does not pay enough, which is mostly true.  Those of us on Medicare and other health care are being left out.

Medicare is a basic Ponzi scheme.  And its designed that way.  Take from the working to pay for the elderly and disabled.  And it works currently, plus or minus a couple billion.

My wife is/was disabled at age 54, and I think it worked/works pretty good for us.  Some people are disabled at a very young age and some not at all and get Medicare when they turn 65.  And some pay in all there lives only to pass before collecting a dime.  Roll of the dice.

Now there are currently 206,230,365 people age 15-64 working in the US.  And there are 51,055,052 Americans age 65 and older, and 10,153,205 Americans on SSDI.  Simple math would have 206 million people taking care of 61 million people, through payroll deductions.  With the CURRENT services, etc.  Simplified further, 3 people pay for 1 elderly or disabled person through payroll deductions

Now under Medicare for all, the same 206 million Americans will be paying for 327 million Americans.  Or 1 worker for 1.5 persons.  So, the money won't last long as its not lasting currently.

But wait, we'll get money from other places, the 1 per centers.  After 3 months and that money is gone.  But wait, will get money from the middle class, the workers, yeah that's it.

Like I said at the start, Medicare is almost break even right now, and works.  Anything more is going to cost everyone a bunch of money.  They will not hesitate to lump the Veterans into that pool.  

My brother will not get Medicare, he will get Railroad Retirement Healthcare (as a Federal Agriculture employee, back in the day they got to pick Social Security or Railroad), probably a bunch of money in there.  And all those other private health funds.  Lump them all in, lets go!!!  

Not going to happen.  And that's probably a good thing.

FWIW,

Hamslice

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@Hamslice Medicare for all sounds more like medicare for nobody

On 11/2/2019 at 7:47 PM, vetquest said:

We will be forced out of Tricare and ChampVA.  You will only be able to have supplemental coverage to cover what Medicare for all does not cover.

Tricare and Champva are supplemental to Medicare already so I doubt it would change much for veterans or retirees....

On 11/11/2019 at 7:41 PM, jbasser said:

Per VA law if you become medicare eligible you have to take part b or lose your Champ VA.

How does that make any sense when Medicare is only for myself not for my dependents and ChampVA is for them only and not for me? Seems almost like pay for part b and then pay for costs associated for my families with ChampVa usually very little but my family always has unexpected medical trips I mean I have a 5 year old and a 2 year my daughter heart is one in 200,000 babies with a Right-sided aortic arch is a rare anatomical variant in which the aortic arch is on the right side rather than on the left. A lot of money going to doctors to finally said she’s fine she’s just had a different heart.