VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New hearing test for tinnitus?

Rate this question

Kuwaitin08

Question

Yesterday I had a C&P exam for tinnitus and hyperacusis. During the appointment I was required to do a few hearing tests. One was the traditional listen for the beep’s and press the button, and one was the normal repeat the word but there was a new one I had never experienced. 
The audiologist placed something on my shoulder with a muff on one ear and inserted in earpiece into the other. The earpiece would beep at different frequencies and get progressively louder to the point of discomfort. The test would then be repeated on the other ear. 

Does anyone have any idea what that test is called or what it is supposed to measure?

Thanks

Edited by Kuwaitin08
Spelling issues

I know when testing newborns for hearing they play a series of tones into the ear and measure the reflected sound waves from the cochlea that come back (otoacoustic reflexion). Nura headphones do the same thing to adjust too your particular hearing. Might be that. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

• HadIt.com Elder

I think it is additional analytical hokus pocus to enable a new reason for denial. 

I’m kinda pissed. I had all paperwork that definitively showed onset of symptoms while active duty, treatment records for last 11 years all in chronological order but the examiner refused to look at it or even let me talk about it. 

So far I’ve had 5 examinations through the VA. 2 were very professional and 3 were pretty unprofessional. One of the professional ones was denied but at least they were professional.

This sounds very much like a bone conduction hearing test except for the placement of the insturment on your shoulder.  For bone conduction hearing tests an oscillator is placed on the mastoid process (the bone at the base of your skull just behind your ear) and the results of this test are compared with your air conduction results (the air conduction test is when you had headphones on).  The reason for the two tests is to see if there is some form of barrier interfering with the transmission of sound from the outer/middle ear to the inner ear.