VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security Disability PLUS VA

Rate this question

nancygail

Question

Hello,

I have a question that I'm sure the answer is on the forum somewhere but I'm unable to find it. We are going through a very difficult time with my husband who is 50% officially disabled but 100% technically. We are trying to get all his VA paperwork in to hopefully get him to 100%. In the meantime we are in fear of losing our home and getting utilities shut off. My question is, as a disabled vet can he apply for SSI disability? He's 61 and won't quality for normal social security for another year.  Any info would be helpful. I'm ill myself and trying to do the research on this which is difficult.  We need to get some type of income before things get really bad. I know applying takes a while but I need to start anything he might be eligible for. He can't work and can not drive easily. PTSD among other things.

I need to make sure I do things right and don't mess up his VA case...  

Thank you!

Nancy

• HadIt.com Elder

Normally if your hubby was  100%  then yes he can check with SSDI and apply for his benefits with the SSA. BUT if he is just 50%  then dealing with the SSDI  he must be considered totally disable by a Dr  before getting benefits from the social security Amin...but go see them(SSDI) they may have a temp SSDI he can get  but will need a Dr to state he is total disable.....

. NOW IF HE GETS A 100% RATING WITH THE VA  THEN THATS WHEN HE CAN BE APPROVED FOR HIS SSDI.

BUT DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH IF HE IS AT 50%   THE ONLY WAY THAT i KNOW OF TO GET SSDI IS A Medical Doctor will need to say he is TOTALLY DISABLED. DUE TO HIS DISEASE/INJURY

• HadIt.com Elder

I am not sure how long he may need to wait for SSDI .

MY SPOUSE WAS LET GO FROM HER EMPLOYER DUE TO HER BACK DISABILITY SHE WAS UNABLE TO COMPLETE HER JOB REQUIREMENTS AND REALLY COULD NOT DO ANY TYPE WORK AND HER DOCTOR WROTE A LETTER STATING SHE WAS TOTALLY DISABLED UNABLE TO PERFORM ANY TYPE WORK INCLUDING SEMDENTRY WORK..

.WELL THE SSDI STILL MADE HER WAIT 6 MONTHS AFTER HER ORIGINAL APPLICATION FOR SSDI...and that sucked for us   good thing I was getting 100% from VA OR WE WOULD LOST EVERYTHING......

IN YOUR CASE  TRY FILING FOR HARDSHIP WITH SSDI......THEY MAY EXPEDITE YOUR CLAIM AND START THE BENEFITS IMMEDIATELY  BUT AGAIN YOU WILL NEED A DR LETTER TO TAKE TO THE SSA.

33 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Normally if your hubby was  100%  then yes he can check with SSDI and apply for his benefits with the SSA. BUT if he is just 50%  then dealing with the SSDI  he must be considered totally disable by a Dr  before getting benefits from the social security Amin...but go see them(SSDI) they may have a temp SSDI he can get  but will need a Dr to state he is total disable.....

. NOW IF HE GETS A 100% RATING WITH THE VA  THEN THATS WHEN HE CAN BE APPROVED FOR HIS SSDI.

BUT DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH IF HE IS AT 50%   THE ONLY WAY THAT i KNOW OF TO GET SSDI IS A Medical Doctor will need to say he is TOTALLY DISABLED. DUE TO HIS DISEASE/INJURY

No military doctor will give him a letter. They've told him that. Which means he'd have to go to a regular doctor and pay out of pocket which of course is not an option. 

Your spoise may be qualified for SSDI even if he is only 50% VA disabled. It all depends on the disability and what type of work they did before being disabled (I am assuming they are not working). For example, my ex-father-in-law was a truck driver. But when he was guiding another truck backwards he fell and his leg was crushed. Because of that he was no longer able to drive a truck and was able to receive SSDI at 52.

Long story short is it will depend on his disability and how does it affect his profession. If you do file for SSDI you should ask if they have an expedited process because you are unable to meet your bills.

Like Buck mentions above it won't be a fast process.

Good luck.

4 minutes ago, paulstrgn said:

Your spoise may be qualified for SSDI even if he is only 50% VA disabled. It all depends on the disability and what type of work they did before being disabled (I am assuming they are not working). For example, my ex-father-in-law was a truck driver. But when he was guiding another truck backwards he fell and his leg was crushed. Because of that he was no longer able to drive a truck and was able to receive SSDI at 52.

Long story short is it will depend on his disability and how does it affect his profession. If you do file for SSDI you should ask if they have an expedited process because you are unable to meet your bills.

Like Buck mentions above it won't be a fast process.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info.  He's actually not been able to hold a normal job since getting out of the military 35 years back. He actually went into music as he could set his own schedule but it never paid well. We've struggled for decades. All from violent events that happened on base. We need to get his VA paperwork in but we can't afford to see a doctor that will give a letter which we kinda need for his packet. What a mess. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay

do you have Myhealthvet Account?

if he don't  he needs one bad, he can check all his medical notes from myhealthvet in the privacy of his home...he needs to look for favorable records that from what the Dr's put in those reports  mention, if he has a Dr that says he is unable to work due to his disease/injury  then he can file the FASTLETTER for IU with the VA  and its usually expedited.

do you guys have a VSO or Law Dog? (Attorney) you may want to think about that?

here is a # TO call for attorneys that may can help you  its NOVA 

(National Organization Veterans Advocates )

1775 Eye Street NW, STE 1150
Washington, District of Columbia 20006

202-587-5708

They can assist your hubby VA Claim and there help is Free. or if he wins then some may charge a fee from his Retro  but call them ask let them know your situation  they will explain and what all you need to do...your Hubby will definitely need his C-FILE and all medical records  but you tell them where to get them and they will, where VA May not.