VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Disabled Veterans Insurance

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I am 100% P&T. I have called the toll free number for the VA life insurance and have been given conflicting information. The first person I spoke to said I am not eligible to apply for the waiver of premiums on a $10,000 life policy because I am working, the second person said I need to apply for the waiver and see what they say. He said I may or may not be given the waiver, he said you won't know until you apply.

Does anyone have the SDVI for $10,000 and is employed get the premiums waived? I only want to apply if the premiums will be waived. I am also under 65 and it has been less than 2 years since my last new disability.

Thanks

On 11/9/2021 at 10:30 AM, Hamslice said:

My scenario is a bit different.  I am P&T, and I (probably a mistake) called the VA asking about the waiver and the lady told me that I would need a doctors note stating that I was unable to work, because I was not IU.  

However, I have not worked since 2/2019, which is easily seen on my Social Security report.  Absolutely no income!!!

Basically she stated that if you are able to work, you can't get it.

This is what my letter says about eligibility.

S-DVI-001.jpg

Edited by Rivet62

I know I am eligible, and I already have the 10K which I pay for, but, I am trying for the waiver.

The waiver is where the VA (Government) pays for 10K, and then I read somewhere about 30K.

Anyway, the are way backed up and I have heard anything in over 2 months since I sent in the form.

Tic Toc,

Hamslice

2 hours ago, blahsaysme2u said:

i applied for the 10k and tried to get the higher 30k waiver...but i work..i am hoping that this gets worked out....i know @Vync was working hard on it but dunno if went anywhere

I've gotten multiple letters over the years about the insurance as my ratings increased over the years. I never applied for it but the premiums seem high for $10,000 worth of insurance, plus I was still working so I didn't qualify for the waiver. 

I stopped working in Sept. 2019 and in 2020 I had some claims finally granted that I had been appealing for years. I got another letter about the insurance and since I wasn't working I applied for it and was approved for the waiver. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@blahsaysme2u and @deedub75,

My S-DVI waiver is stuck at BVA waiting for them to schedule a video appointment. It is less than a year old, so I expect it will take them a couple of more years. The premiums are a bit steep for $10k of coverage, but I had a heart attack in 2019 that was subsequently SC, so at least they can't hold that against me.

The unemployed requirement stems from a VA departmental policy, not US Code authored by Congress or an official regulation which was subject to public comment. The VA can write and modify internal policies all the time without public input. I'm curious what the BVA will decide given the fact that the Federal Circuit courts have repeatedly ruled in favor of employed veterans with regard to overruling the VA's unemployment requirement to get the waiver. If I win, I would definitely expect the VA to appeal that decision.