Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Disabled Veterans Insurance

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I am 100% P&T. I have called the toll free number for the VA life insurance and have been given conflicting information. The first person I spoke to said I am not eligible to apply for the waiver of premiums on a $10,000 life policy because I am working, the second person said I need to apply for the waiver and see what they say. He said I may or may not be given the waiver, he said you won't know until you apply.

Does anyone have the SDVI for $10,000 and is employed get the premiums waived? I only want to apply if the premiums will be waived. I am also under 65 and it has been less than 2 years since my last new disability.

Thanks

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@blahsaysme2u It would not hurt to get that moving from an effective date preservation perspective. Keep in mind that if I win at the BVA level and the VA does not appeal their decision, I would be granted the benefit, but am not certain it would be considered a precedent ruling that would apply to all veterans in similar situations. Perhaps @Bertaor someone else with more experience in that department could explain how that might work.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@blahsaysme2uI would assume so, however I never signed up because I had much better insurance coverage via my employer at much less cost. I am considering signing up for a plan or two with them because I will not be able to remain employed forever. Private insurance told me that the rates get better after five years have passed without an additional heart attack, so I am hoping they are right.

My case is a bit different.

I am 100P&T and I do not work because I don't have to.  I have nothing from any doctor saying I can not work.

I called the VA life insurance and the lady said I did not qualify because I could work.

After I seen this topic here, I decided to fill out the form and send it in.  It has a spot for you current doctor, which I put my current VA doctor.  It has a one line where you enter what condition prevents you from working.  I put "totality of my VA disabiilities".  As for records, I put see my VA doctor.

LOL,  so in theory, the VA insurance people should be contacting my VA doctor to see if I am unemployable, and also try and get my VA medical records.

Bottom line is I say I can't work, and the VA says I can work, without any exam to say otherwise.

Been 3 months,

Hamslice

I have been paying for the 10K for over 10 years.