Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

Service-Connected Conditions Worsened After Car Accident, Will I be Granted Increases/Secondary Conditions?



Since 2015, I've been rated at 60%. I have ratings for my right shoulder, lower back,  knees, and ankle. I was involved in a car accident which have caused my conditions to worsen. My hip is now a constant bother, as well as my non-rated shoulder. After having an X-ray performed, degenerative changes and bone spurs were shown in my hip, and scoliosis was shown in my back. I had no intentions of hiding the accident from the VA and informed my physician of the incident.

Is there any possibility of being granted secondary conditions for my hip and non-rated shoulder with the accident being notated in my VA records? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 1

If your conditions are already rated you could receive an increase... it doesn't matter what caused the additional problems...  But if your have new injuries because of the accident,  its very unlikely you can get them service connected...


In my case I was thrown from a moving jeep and injured my back among other medical issues,  I was awarded 10%  in 1986.. in April 1999,  I received an increase to 40%...  then one day I was helping my son rotate his tires and my back locked up literally... I could not move... In Nov 1999,  I was awarded 60% and TDIU for my back....  So as I said., if your already service connected it will not matter what causes a re-injury .......


  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

Once SC, you are SC for that condition until/unless VA severe's SC.  

Apparently, with the SC, you have established the etiology of your disorder(s) to be military service.  

So, when they get worse, they get worse.  Well, "unless" a doctor tells VA your Worsening conditions are related to your auto accident (which I presume is after service) and not to military service.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

You can request an increase but the VA may note that you had an accident that created further problems.  VA only rates for SC injuries and the progression of those injuries.  You might be able to get an increase on the hip as it is a progression of the SC.  As far as the non-rated shoulder the VA will most likely deny.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

If you informed your doc but he is a civilian doc, I wouldn't go for an increase now, but, if required you to go for a new exam, I do not think you have to inform  the VA that you were in an accident. If asked, tell the truth, but I do not believe you are under any obligation to inform. You answer the questions asked, you do not have to offer or expand on answers not asked,  I just wouldn't request an increase now. Wait and see. You are not a medical expert, so your opinion on whether your accident caused a worsining of your already s-c disabilities doesn't count, so why offer it?IMO

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I guess I am looking at this a little differently. Did a doctor tell you that the car accident made these conditions worse or are you assuming that it did? Is it a coincidence that these disablities started to hurt more after the accident? 

Like GB states above you are not a medical professional, let the doctors decide what is what.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Ads

  • Ads

  • Ads

  • Our picks

    • A VA Compensation and Pension Examiners Perspective
      A VA Compensation and Pension Examiners Perspective

      This person is going to judge you. It’s their job, and that is why you are there. To be adjudicated fairly. How would you like to be remembered? A scuzzy stereotypical veteran? Or a troubled one who is doing the best they can?

      Do not talk about alcohol or drug-related issues. You are not there to be assessed for those problems. You are there to be evaluated for your psychiatric functioning as today relates to your service history. If the examiner asks about alcohol or drugs, politely remind them that you are not there for those issues if you’ve ever had them, but for how impaired you are in your daily functioning. It’s best to avoid even talking about them. Got a VA horror story? I can tell you a worse one. Don’t waste your time with how badly you believe you’ve been mistreated. The examiner only has a short time to figure out how impaired you are, and they need the facts, concise sentences, and not rambling rants that lead nowhere.
      • 0 replies
    • VA Math, Confusing, Right? Calculate Your Final Rating Percentage!
      10 + 50 = 50 and other VA math mysteries explained.

      VA Math It’s Not Your Mother’s Arithmetic 

      “VA Math” is the way that the VA computes combined impairment ratings for multiple conditions in a Veteran’s compensation benefits claim – and it requires that you unlearn real math. When a Veteran has multiple medical conditions that are service-connected and the Veterans Affairs rates each at a different percentage, it would seem that they should just add up your percentages to get to a total body impairment rating.
      • 2 replies
    • VA will propose adding rare cancers to the presumed service-connected list as related to military environmental exposure
    • Post in I need some help, please
      If you are looking for help taking care of him something like a home health aide that comes in during the week and helps with what he needs help with. For this I would contact your local VA hospital and ask to speak to the Social Worker, explain your situation, ask for help and how to proceed.

      If you are looking for additional compensation in the form of Special Monthly Compensation check out this video from CCK Law I think it will give you a good idea what it is and how to go about applying for it.

      For example there is a Special Monthly Compensation Rate for TBI try reading this article from The Veterans Law Blog on SMC T It is a subscription site but it allows you to view 3 articles for free a month.

      Special Monthly Compensation (SMC)

      I hope this helps.

    • Post in I am now 100% P&T, what do I need to know to apply for Social Security Disability?
      You can now apply on line Read the below PDF or go here to Apply and read more https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/Ent002View.action

      Here is a checklist for what you will need

        • Like
  • Ads

  • Popular Contributors

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

  • Advertisemnt

  • How to get your questions answered...


    All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.
    2. Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

    Leading to:

    Post clear questions and then give background info on them.


    • A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.


    Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

    This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines