VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service-Connected Conditions Worsened After Car Accident, Will I be Granted Increases/Secondary Conditions?

Rate this question

TSN18

Question

Since 2015, I've been rated at 60%. I have ratings for my right shoulder, lower back,  knees, and ankle. I was involved in a car accident which have caused my conditions to worsen. My hip is now a constant bother, as well as my non-rated shoulder. After having an X-ray performed, degenerative changes and bone spurs were shown in my hip, and scoliosis was shown in my back. I had no intentions of hiding the accident from the VA and informed my physician of the incident.

Is there any possibility of being granted secondary conditions for my hip and non-rated shoulder with the accident being notated in my VA records? 

If your conditions are already rated you could receive an increase... it doesn't matter what caused the additional problems...  But if your have new injuries because of the accident,  its very unlikely you can get them service connected...

In my case I was thrown from a moving jeep and injured my back among other medical issues,  I was awarded 10%  in 1986.. in April 1999,  I received an increase to 40%...  then one day I was helping my son rotate his tires and my back locked up literally... I could not move... In Nov 1999,  I was awarded 60% and TDIU for my back....  So as I said., if your already service connected it will not matter what causes a re-injury .......

Once SC, you are SC for that condition until/unless VA severe's SC.  

Apparently, with the SC, you have established the etiology of your disorder(s) to be military service.  

So, when they get worse, they get worse.  Well, "unless" a doctor tells VA your Worsening conditions are related to your auto accident (which I presume is after service) and not to military service.  

You can request an increase but the VA may note that you had an accident that created further problems.  VA only rates for SC injuries and the progression of those injuries.  You might be able to get an increase on the hip as it is a progression of the SC.  As far as the non-rated shoulder the VA will most likely deny.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you informed your doc but he is a civilian doc, I wouldn't go for an increase now, but, if required you to go for a new exam, I do not think you have to inform  the VA that you were in an accident. If asked, tell the truth, but I do not believe you are under any obligation to inform. You answer the questions asked, you do not have to offer or expand on answers not asked,  I just wouldn't request an increase now. Wait and see. You are not a medical expert, so your opinion on whether your accident caused a worsining of your already s-c disabilities doesn't count, so why offer it?IMO

I guess I am looking at this a little differently. Did a doctor tell you that the car accident made these conditions worse or are you assuming that it did? Is it a coincidence that these disablities started to hurt more after the accident? 

Like GB states above you are not a medical professional, let the doctors decide what is what.