VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

blahsaysme2u

Question

i havent posted in a while. i was denied my claim for sleep apnea and got help from the state VSO because i couldnt get the vfw or DAV to return my phone calls. 

i in the army national guard. i was in 03-09 and was deployed to Iraq in 07-08. upon return i immediately went to the va and filed for benefits for health care. i was injured in iraq and filed claims for those. i also was having problems sleeping and the VA gave me a sleep study(4 months after discharge from active duty) and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. i filed a claim and it was denied. 

years have gone by since then and i was trying to get a claim for my sleep apnea once more. last year i submitted a claim(thinking the claim i submitted in 2008 cant be appeal etc.) i was denied a couple months ago again saying that my diagnosis was not "in service". now while i understand i was not active duty at the time of diagnosis, it was only 4 months after. also, where in Iraq would i have been able to get a sleep study done? 

i have been trying and trying to get help with this claim and doing research on my own. i was not getting anywhere. soooooo i went to the VSO. he immediately says "this is a CUE". he says that since the diagnosis was less than a year from discharge from active duty, i should have been granted service connection. so i am confused on this because its not listed by the VA as a presumed disease. is this CUE going to fail? if not, i was also denied service connection for my allergies that i was diagnosed with around the same time. should i file a CUE for that as well? 

@Willy P, @vetquest, @Buck52, @Berta, @broncovet and @Vync

here is what my VSO and the state lawyers came up with. this took them 2 weeks to type up? i feel like i could have came up with this. does this sound like good arguments for a trial before a judge? should there be more? i feel very disappointed when i got his email today. i was really looking for this to be mind blowing argument! 

should i get a lawyer? should i try this and see what happens? if i loose, what options are left?

thanks for everyone's  help!!!!

2020-02-11_10-53-13.pdf

Edited by blahsaysme2u

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hmm... I checked 38 CFR 3.307 and 3.309, but I didn't see sleep apnea listed. But I have not had much exposure helping with presumptive claims.

Is this a CUE or an active appeal?

It appears to cover all of the bases.  Being that you did apply within the one year time frame it should be presumed as your VSO's lawyer states.  I cannot say that I would be uncomfortable going with this to the BVA as it hits all of the points needed.  The question I have, is the lawyer going to follow your case at the BVA?  If not, then I would most assuredly contact a lawyer and see what they might do for you.  The greatest advantage of having a lawyer is that they take time to intercede for you.  If this lawyer is not going to personally handle your case or handle your case and a thousand others I would feel more comfortable with my own lawyer, especially if you are so close to 100& scheduler.  You lose 20% of your award but this is a milestone for you.

@vetquest they are going with me to the trial and will be working with me every step(so they said). i am glad you are confident in the argument. gives me faith. 

if i do lose this, do i have any options? are there appeals or reviews after a judge?

what do you mean 20%....thanks for chiming in- love your advice my friend

Edited by blahsaysme2u

1 hour ago, Vync said:

I checked 38 CFR 3.307 and 3.309, but I didn't see sleep apnea listed. But I have not had much exposure helping with presumptive claims.

i also didnt see it listed. i dunno what that means either.