VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC L C and P Exam for PTSD - What to expect?

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

no drop foot here. my knees are going out and need replacements in about a year. i have lymphedema in my lower legs and have to wear wraps and use a compression machine. but since this is for ptsd i don't think they will care about the physical stuff going on with me.

my niece and home health aide help me remember to take my meds, my niece drives me where i need to go my anxiety got so bad i had to stop driving. I basically just go to doctors appointments and haircuts. very agoraphobic, they do my laundry, keep my house clean and lay out my clothes and make sure i remember to change clothes as sometimes i just kind of zone out for days and i go through the motions but not really there.

my niece does all my grocery shopping, managing my appointments and taking me there. 

currently what Alex often refers to as bent brain syndrome in PTSD cases, though right now mine brain feels a bit pretzeled.

my niece, me, cinder and my home health aide are a great team and keeps me going. we all do our part and because of that help i can do work on the site at least a little bit each day, some days i have insomnia or night terrors and i can get up and work on the site and that helps me get past the insomnia and gives me something productive to do rather than sitting and ruminating over bad things. 

i'm going to go in and answer the questions honestly and hope for the best, my niece will be with me throughout the exam, my memory can be a bit spotty and she will help with that.

i have a lot of anxiety about the c and p exam, but i always do. i'll be glad when it's over. 

• HadIt.com Elder

IT SHOULD NOT BE TO BAD MS T

Take deep breaths let them out slowly

you may want to mention to the examiner just what you mention here,,,remember if the examiner just reads on the computer & not all that friendly and visitive And your just sitting there building up anxiety,  you need to speak up and let him/her know just what you mention here, without all your support you have there's no telling where you would end up  ect,,,ect,,,

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms T Quoted

'' but since this is for ptsd i don't think they will care about the physical stuff going on with me.''

Yes they should care.  be sure to let them know all of this  and describe it like broncovet mention how it all is on your worse day.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

You can tell if you get a good caring compassionate examiner  if he /she are friendly and visitive and ask you .do you have anything to add?

.if you don't get a chance to tell them what you mention to us here during the exam,  then this is your chance  and remember  its on your worse day.

I am sure you already have done this but just in case. Make sure you write up a statement listing everything you have mentioned here in this thread.

4 hours ago, Tbird said:

my niece, me, cinder and my home health aide are a great team and keeps me going.

I would also get lay statements from these folks listing everything that they do for you, especially how your niece now has to drive you every where. 

JMO

Good luck!!