Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VERY strange C & P exam

Rate this question

Mantana

Question

20200214_063707.thumb.jpg.719b89e6abc71f2a4fab2cbb2ef338c3.jpgYesterday I drove 87 miles over an unplowed pass in a blizzard at 530 in the morning to make a c & p exam. The appointment time was 8am, but I was determined to be early so I showed at 740. But the drive isnt the weird part... I was scheduled to get evaluated for neck pain and GERD. The nurse was nice and drew my blood quickly, the doctor arrived and it was the same doctor I had 8 months ago in another town and he actually gave me my first service connection at that time. He starts with neck pain, does very fast measurements and basically then tells me I have no strong claim. I was claiming it secondary to TMD and had provided with a nexus  (which he read) 2 appeals that the board granted for this same issue. There was also 2 scholarly articles in the nexus letter. He shrugged it off and said he was going to deny it.... now it gets weird...

He stated he "lastnight i made up my mind" and was going to deny both my conditions. But then he said this morning he changed his mind and decides to make a statement with my GERD at least as likely as not. He even read me the statement and told me he would use one of the articles provided in my claim. But then he tells me he was going to deny because he thinks I don't have GERD But another disease(just similar symptoms), AND he thinks my articles are bogus and flawed. I am claiming GERD secondary via NSAID over use. He basically explained to me the VA likes to play a game and that he realized I was a veteran who wanted to play back.... Also he said GERD needs to be confirmed and he told me not do have a scope until I'm service connected in case it's negative. 

Oh yeah, and he diagnosed me with GERD

Isn't that weird as heck?????

Edited by Mantana

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

By chance, was that in a state where marijuana is legal?

The blood test was probably for the GERD. They check you for heliobacter pylori infection. It is a common cause for GERD, but only detectable through the blood test. Even if it tests positive, you are supposed to go through a course of antibiotics and get re-evaluated. I went through all this from a non-VA doc before I filed for SC. The VA repeated the blood test, which was negative, and did an upper GI that was glaringly obvious.

8 hours ago, Vync said:

By chance, was that in a state where marijuana is legal?

The VA repeated the blood test, which was negative, and did an upper GI that was glaringly obvious.

Haha yes it's legal, but honestly he seemed pretty at home and just seemed to be in a hurry. 

I asked him why they don't do a scope and see if I have it if he thinks I dont. He said the VA quit doing them as part of c and p exams because of cost and liability. He literally told me they approve GERD claims based on symptoms and don't care about the veteran actually having GERD. It was very strange. He even read me his "at least as likely as not" statement and gave me an explanation that he would use my article to prove it, even though he thinks I have some other stomach condition related to NSAID use. 

I had a VES mental health one the other day too. The lady was super nice and showed me the portal and how they submit DBQs on their website. She told me to expect a large increase and that she would make statements claiming it effects my work. 

Seems like c and p examiners are getting more open with people...

8 hours ago, Buck52 said:

These type of examiners just wants to play big shot and use their authority to scare veterans  and it usually works.

I wasn't scared at first honestly. Mostly just in shock. I understand my neck claim is a bit of a stretch but it is winnable based on history and scholarly sources. I started getting somewhat worried when I realized he was basically saying 3 of my personal doctors are wrong about me having GERD. Thankfully I have a DBQ and solid chart notes and in IMO.  He essentially was saying he approved it because he knew I would win anyway. 

I am claiming GERD secondary via NSAID over use.

How do you know if you have GERD if you never had a camera down your throat? He should have denied you just for that reason alone and not give you 

But then he said this morning he changed his mind and decides to make a statement with my GERD at least as likely as not. 

Again he should have never gave you "atleast as likely as not" but a denied--since you don't have proof from a scope down your throat to your stomach.

No he was right about your three doctors being wrong. They never properly examined you with again a scope down your throat.

That is like saying I bought a box of chocolate cookies, and I ate them, even though they're still in the wrapped box moldy.

22 hours ago, Mantana said:

Also he said GERD needs to be confirmed and he told me not do have a scope until I'm service connected in case it's negative. 

Oh yeah, and he diagnosed me with GERD

So you're allowing fraud to take place. When you don't even have GERD?!

6 minutes ago, Oceanbound said:

So you're allowing fraud to take place. When you don't even have GERD?!

Let's not be too hard on this gentleman.  He is seeking disability for a condition that he believes is related to service and it is the VA's job to decide if he deserves it or not.  After reading what all his doctor said I believe that GBArmy might be right about the doctor self medicating.  He seems to be a confused individual. 

We will advise to the best of our abilities and it is not ours to judge a veteran.  We will leave that to another site that is all too willing to trash vets seeking advice about service connected conditions.  I learned a long time ago that there are veterans out there that are gaming the system but that is between them and their maker.  

@Mantana, I would follow Buck52's advice and seek another C&P if this one is unfavorable.  I have had doctors treat me great and thank me for my service and then twist the knife in their evaluation.  I have also had doctors that were meah but did great evaluations in my favor.