VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I had some re-exams recently...

Rate this question

awgv001

Question

Went to the re-exam today for PTSD. Standard questions and explanations, and very intently impersonal.

When I asked about getting a copy of the exam/results, they said that it's considered "forensic evidence" and I cannot obtain a copy of their details or recommendations.

(I've never had an examiner NOT share their opinion's/thoughts in regard to my claim at least verbally, even on negative exams... this is the first time that one declined to answer.

I most definitely want copies of my PTSD and Migraine exams/responses...otherwise, what chance would I have to stand on to fight in the event of an unfair C&P?

Ridiculous.

This is as simple as an FOIA request right? or perhaps in a few (weeks?) it will show up information on myhealth blue button?

Edited by awgv001

I will say this examiner is way out of bounds.  You have the right to see the examination results.  It might not show up on your myhealth, especially if it is a contracted exam.  I would wait two weeks and file a FIOA request at your VA release of information office.  I would make sure that I acquire the results because this is usually a red flag when an examiner says you do not have the right to see exam results.  Keep us apprised.

• HadIt.com Elder

awgv001 I smell a rat! Of course you can see your own records; duh! Their YOUR records. Check the examiner's record and see his/her experience, degree(education), specialty, how long they have been practicing etc. My money is on 1) a very inexperience examiner; or 2) someone who just started working for the VA and doesn't want to rock the boat. I agree with vetquest. Go to the RO and get your own personnel medical record. I also would document and upload what the examiner said to you today!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Wow, what a jerk. As they say in the Army, "That individual deserves corrective training." Was it at the VAMC C&P clinic or an off-site VA contractor?

If at the VAMC, I would contact the C&P clinic and ask to speak with the chief. You could describe the unprofessional experience you encountered. At minimum, they should all be able to direct you to the VAMC's Release of Information Office (RIO). As soon as they are entered into the system (sometimes days after the exam), they should be available to be printed out. Of course as vetquest indicated, they won't show on myhealth for a while (30 days from what I heard). My last C&P was around June 2019. I called RIO a couple of times a week until they showed up, then I drove down and got a copy.

If it a contractor, I honestly don't know who to call. No idea if those are farmed out from a specific location or not.

Either case, it is worth calling the White House VA hotline to complain.

7 minutes ago, Vync said:

Wow, what a jerk. As they say in the Army, "That individual deserves corrective training." Was it at the VAMC C&P clinic or an off-site VA contractor?

If at the VAMC, I would contact the C&P clinic and ask to speak with the chief. You could describe the unprofessional experience you encountered. At minimum, they should all be able to direct you to the VAMC's Release of Information Office (RIO). As soon as they are entered into the system (sometimes days after the exam), they should be available to be printed out. Of course as vetquest indicated, they won't show on myhealth for a while (30 days from what I heard). My last C&P was around June 2019. I called RIO a couple of times a week until they showed up, then I drove down and got a copy.

If it a contractor, I honestly don't know who to call. No idea if those are farmed out from a specific location or not.

Either case, it is worth calling the White House VA hotline to complain.

@VyncIt was offsite through VES --- I'm quite a distance from a RO (mine is Atlanta, GA) but there's a local clinic I regularly go to??

I have to physically go down there to get a copy? It's doable, but man, I may as well grab my whole C-File if I'm going to make that kind of trip, yikes.

Everything else about the exam seemed to par - and the examiner seemed to be equally as dead inside as I feel, until this question of information came up at the end.

Edited by awgv001

8 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

awgv001 I smell a rat! Of course you can see your own records; duh! Their YOUR records. Check the examiner's record and see his/her experience, degree(education), specialty, how long they have been practicing etc. My money is on 1) a very inexperience examiner; or 2) someone who just started working for the VA and doesn't want to rock the boat. I agree with vetquest. Go to the RO and get your own personnel medical record. I also would document and upload what the examiner said to you today!

@GBArmy I have a copy of their information from VES - (Psychologist) 8 years of med, 5-10 years of C&P exams