Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Migraine DBQ results

JohnReid
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

Question

I had my C&P exams on Jan 21, with an expected decision date of April 13. But I got a copy of C&P exams and on the migraine DBQ, there was no box to check for “more than monthly frequency”. And them checking the box for once per month is only 30%. 

The most frequent box to check was “once per month”, and that’s what the examiner check. But I have them about twice a week. My PCM knows that and I told the examiner that. 

I think the C&P examiner could have been using an outdated version, but I haven’t gotten the rating back so I’m not sure. I can upload a copy of the paperwork showing the most frequent option being “once per month” tomorrow. Has anyone experienced this?

10 answers to this question

• Financial Contributor

Sounds to me like you need to take a trip to your Va hospital and talk to the C&P office who is in charge there!  Take in your copy and show them and see if they can schedule you another C&P.  Be nice about it, but make sure you go and ask.  

I agree with shrektank1

However  when you had this C&P Exam did you let the examiner know you have these migraines twice a week and sometimes more?

If you get a new C&P and the examiner don't ask you any questions  be sure and bring up what you want them to know during your exam.

sometimes they do get old information  or the VA never sent them what they need?...they go strictly by what the VA sends them.  or read parts of your C-FILE IF THEY HAVE IT  WHICH IS USUALLY WHERE THE OLD INFORMATION IS.

Thank you both for the replies and yes I made sure to tell the C&P examiner I have migraines 2-3 times per week. They wrote that down in the DBQ. 

It was just that one block I noticed didn’t have an option for more frequently that once a month. Maybe in her mind that was the most severe option that was available so she checked it. 

Im also still on active duty, so I gave them my complete medical record 

Ok. got it

If this is for first time claim or increase.

but if your denied or lowballed on your rating Appeal ASAP go get an (IMO) independent  medical opinion  and how many  headaches you have during one week.

if the examiner just checks one box  that is the criteria the rater will use to give you a rating  and it usually a lowball rating.  so watchout for that!

I do not know why but they always seem to lowball migraine ratings.  Maybe it is in relation to the fact that the VA recognizes the max for migraines is 50%.  On another website they will tell you that migraine disabilities is the most abused disability.  Whatever, I started at 10% and had to fight for 30% and 50%, even with migraine diaries in my medical records reporting several a week.  This was the reason that I lost my job was the migraines and the side effects of the medication.  The VA does lowball these ratings.

Vetquest Well you did what we tell people all the time; it's important to at least get the service connection, even if it is a low ball rating. The other common disability is hearing; almost impossible to get higher than 0 or 10%. But once s-c, you can climb the ladder and eventually get the rating you should have. Damn shame, but it is what it is.

10 hours ago, JohnReid said:

Thank you both for the replies and yes I made sure to tell the C&P examiner I have migraines 2-3 times per week. They wrote that down in the DBQ. 

It was just that one block I noticed didn’t have an option for more frequently that once a month. Maybe in her mind that was the most severe option that was available so she checked it. 

Im also still on active duty, so I gave them my complete medical record 

IMHO, since you are still on active duty, I would suggest that you get a referral to a neurologist and have him/her do a separate DBQ.  Migraines are subjective and it sometimes doesn't matter how many a veteran claim to have VA only wants to grant a 10% to 30% claim. In the VA system, once an examiner check the once every month block there are no other options.  Even if the examiner check the functional  impact block and state that your headaches interfere with employment, VA will still grant the 10% to 30% rating.  Make sure you get that updated DBQ into VA.  In my experience, you will have problems getting the VAMC/C & P Examiner to give you a new C & P exam or changing their opinion. Do It now, you don't want to appeal this decision. Appealing this claim can take 3 to 5 years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vetquest said:

I do not know why but they always seem to lowball migraine ratings.  Maybe it is in relation to the fact that the VA recognizes the max for migraines is 50%.  On another website they will tell you that migraine disabilities is the most abused disability.  Whatever, I started at 10% and had to fight for 30% and 50%, even with migraine diaries in my medical records reporting several a week.  This was the reason that I lost my job was the migraines and the side effects of the medication.  The VA does lowball these ratings.

I agree with you vetquest  its like a hearing loss claim veterans that are darn near deaf get a measly 10% and 99 %of the time need to appeal.

I hate to see any veteran get a lowball rating  and a lot of times the veteran may not even know he /she got lowballed.

For hearing loss claims ,just about every veeran I've talk with gets the 0% or 10% the very first time.

no matter how much evidence they show about their profound hearing loss

The rater should read better  and give the correct rating for the correct evidence he sends in that match his rating criteria and be given the correct rating...unfortunately they don't.do that   its very rare to get a rating for hearing loss on the first try..and Maybe Migraines are the same way.

Was this an exam done by VES, LHI, or QTC?

If so you can contact them and complain. Their contact info is here under a search.

I see you are still AD-make sure you leave the Mil when you are discharged, with all disabilities noted on your discharge exam.

Also leave with a copy of your SMRs and 201 (Military Personnel file).

Do these headaches interfere with your Military duties? 

If so your SMRs and even the 201 could reflect that.

And by all means don't leave without some contact info from your unit inservice buddies -one never knows when a valid buddy statement or two, will be able  to establish a strong  nexus to their claim.

This link from a law firm who handles vet claims might help you:

https://cck-law.com/blog/50-percent-va-disability-migraine-headaches/

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines