VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Migraine DBQ results

Rate this question

JohnReid

Question

I had my C&P exams on Jan 21, with an expected decision date of April 13. But I got a copy of C&P exams and on the migraine DBQ, there was no box to check for “more than monthly frequency”. And them checking the box for once per month is only 30%. 

The most frequent box to check was “once per month”, and that’s what the examiner check. But I have them about twice a week. My PCM knows that and I told the examiner that. 

I think the C&P examiner could have been using an outdated version, but I haven’t gotten the rating back so I’m not sure. I can upload a copy of the paperwork showing the most frequent option being “once per month” tomorrow. Has anyone experienced this?

• Lead Moderator

Sounds to me like you need to take a trip to your Va hospital and talk to the C&P office who is in charge there!  Take in your copy and show them and see if they can schedule you another C&P.  Be nice about it, but make sure you go and ask.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with shrektank1

However  when you had this C&P Exam did you let the examiner know you have these migraines twice a week and sometimes more?

If you get a new C&P and the examiner don't ask you any questions  be sure and bring up what you want them to know during your exam.

sometimes they do get old information  or the VA never sent them what they need?...they go strictly by what the VA sends them.  or read parts of your C-FILE IF THEY HAVE IT  WHICH IS USUALLY WHERE THE OLD INFORMATION IS.

Thank you both for the replies and yes I made sure to tell the C&P examiner I have migraines 2-3 times per week. They wrote that down in the DBQ. 

It was just that one block I noticed didn’t have an option for more frequently that once a month. Maybe in her mind that was the most severe option that was available so she checked it. 

Im also still on active duty, so I gave them my complete medical record 

• HadIt.com Elder

Ok. got it

If this is for first time claim or increase.

but if your denied or lowballed on your rating Appeal ASAP go get an (IMO) independent  medical opinion  and how many  headaches you have during one week.

if the examiner just checks one box  that is the criteria the rater will use to give you a rating  and it usually a lowball rating.  so watchout for that!

I do not know why but they always seem to lowball migraine ratings.  Maybe it is in relation to the fact that the VA recognizes the max for migraines is 50%.  On another website they will tell you that migraine disabilities is the most abused disability.  Whatever, I started at 10% and had to fight for 30% and 50%, even with migraine diaries in my medical records reporting several a week.  This was the reason that I lost my job was the migraines and the side effects of the medication.  The VA does lowball these ratings.

• HadIt.com Elder

Vetquest Well you did what we tell people all the time; it's important to at least get the service connection, even if it is a low ball rating. The other common disability is hearing; almost impossible to get higher than 0 or 10%. But once s-c, you can climb the ladder and eventually get the rating you should have. Damn shame, but it is what it is.