VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Scar Question

Rate this question

USMCVMO

Question

Hello,

My head was broke open pretty  good in an aircraft maintenance accident.   I think I got 10 staples at the ER in Camp Lejeune.  I had not thought about this in 20 years until my wife shaved my head because I was sick of my long hair due to COVID barber closures.   I read somewhere that there is compensation for scars.  I was not sure if this would even be worth pursing.  Do they have any rules around where the scar is?    I have included a picture of the top of my head and the drawing from the doc at the ER from my medical record.  I am currently 70% rated mostly for back and secondaries to that.  Not sure if this would be enough to move the needle even if approved.  

scar.png

scar2.PNG

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

USMCVMO Welcome to Hadit. It is possible to get a disability rating from scars. There are several factors: are they deep or superficial. Are they stable  and/or painful. Where they are located also is a factor., if you have other service-connected scars also and quite importantly, how much surface area they cover. They would be assigned a diagnostic code based on those factors, such as 7801 for deep scars, or 7804 for unstable.Here ia a pretty informative site to learn from. http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/scars.html

I have one like that rated at 0%.  However, the TBI rating was at 70% because of the accident that caused the scar.  It took a Neurofeedback Psychologist to figure out that TBI.  All other shrinks wanted to treat me for PTSD and throw meds at me.  The TBI symptoms are what kicks my ass the most.  Just throwing that out there.  It took 25 years after service to file for TBI.  It's  a tricky diagnosis and a tough battle with the VA.  BTW I have 80% for other disfiguring unstable, underlying damage, painful scarring of head neck and face.  VA originally tried to get away with 10%.  Outside medical Dr. opinions helped my claims tremendously.

I have 3 rated at 0%.  One of them was initially rated at 10% after a surgery when the examiner asked me if it was painful.  I was on temporary 100% for the surgery.  I had more exams and the follow up exam for my temporary 100% and the examiner looked at the scars.  She didn't even ask me this time was it painful (it still was).  Next thing I know, it was lowered to 0% but it didn't affect my overall rating.  

They rate them based on whether they are deep or superficial and how big they are.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe they had a change in the way they rate scares now  After Aug 13 2018. if a claim was filed before that date they sill rate the scare what it was before that change.

Here is a site with little more information from Military Made Easy.

About the rating of scares 

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/scars.html