Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VSO or ATTORNEY?

Rate this question

VIETNAMVETFAM

Question

I think I can help with the VSO/attorney question and its a good one, by the way!!!

Sometimes you need the experience and expertise of an attorney while at others a VSO will suffice.  

Some examples:

1.  You have been denied multiple times, appealed multiple times, without success using a VSO.  Now try an attorney.  This is when most Vets hire an attorney..AFTER the VSO failed them. 

2.  Your case is very old or complex.  I just dont expect a VSO to do "great effort" when they get the same pay if they dont bother to return your call.  

3.  If you just applied, and got a VARO denial in 2019 (your claim is "fresh", under a couple years old), then its okay to stick with a VSO at least until/unless he fails you.  

4.  If you have a computer, good communication and research skills, are at least somewhat orgainized you may be able to represent yourself or with a VSO.  

5.  If your original denied claim is over 10 years ago, time to get an attorney.

6.  If you have a recent (within 60 days) BVA denial.    Pick an attorney from THIS list:

https://www.vetadvocates.org/directory/widget_search?current_page=1&sort_type=featured&filter={"additional_info.show-profile-on-sustaining-membership-directory"%3A+"yes"}&asset_type=company_user&display_type=default

I am familiar with or have used the following experienced attorneys with good results:

1.  Chris Attig

2.  CCK law (the biggest, probably)

3.  Carpenter Chartered.  (Ken Carpenter out of Kansas).  The BEST , but old school and he didnt permit me to send my evidence via email.  

4.  Some other names also good:  Doug Rosinski, Hill and Pontoon, Bergman and Moore, Woods and Woods, Katrina Eagle.  

5.  Dont forget NVLSP, they work without charge "if" you meet their criteria.  Examples of their criteria are Nehmer Vets,  Vets with a recent BVA denial where NVLSP thinks you have an "issue of merit".  

Has it been denied 2 times? If its a condition that you have already filed for and its been denied, then you have to either do a supplemental claim or a full appeal. If its just an increase and youve been denied before, then you need better evidence than whatever your denial letter stated. Finding VSO's, just google VSO- the main ones usually have reps either at most RO's, or in most major cities. There is no 'rating system' for VSOs that im aware of, though. 

Find  your local CVSO, (County Veterans Service Officer).  He/she usually has an office in the County Court House.  If you have lived in that county your whole life or most of it, they probably have a file on you already.

Ask them which VSO they would recommend.  They have first hand knowledge of who works best in their county. 

All of the Service Organizations have VSO's that can help you or your CVSO will route your claim through them.

I have actually never met or corresponded with my VSO, Veterans of Foreign Wars, VFW, but that is who is my POA, and my local CVSO sends my claims to them, and it's worked out OK so-far.

The Service Organizations VSO's actually work in the same location as the VA raters sometimes.  For which I have a problem with, but that's an other story all-together.

Good Luck,

Hamslice

2 minutes ago, Hamslice said:

Find  your local CVSO, (County Veterans Service Officer).  He/she usually has an office in the County Court House.  If you have lived in that county your whole life or most of it, they probably have a file on you already.

Ask them which VSO they would recommend.  They have first hand knowledge of who works best in their county. 

All of the Service Organizations have VSO's that can help you or your CVSO will route your claim through them.

I have actually never met or corresponded with my VSO, Veterans of Foreign Wars, VFW, but that is who is my POA, and my local CVSO sends my claims to them, and it's worked out OK so-far.

The Service Organizations VSO's actually work in the same location as the VA raters sometimes.  For which I have a problem with, but that's an other story all-together.

Good Luck,

Hamslice

They don’t get paid by the va, so what’s the issue? The few times I had to work with mine before I started doing things myself if they had a question ofttimes they could just go ask the vsr or rater because they were right there, rather than calling, leaving messages, or emailing. 

21 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

They don’t get paid by the va, so what’s the issue? The few times I had to work with mine before I started doing things myself if they had a question ofttimes they could just go ask the vsr or rater because they were right there, rather than calling, leaving messages, or emailing. 

You and I have had this conversation before;

My view has not changed,

Hamslice

The issue of "whether or not" the VSO gets paid by VA is one of semantics.  It reminds me of one of the cell phone companies "giving you a free phone" but only if you sign a 2 year contract.  Who do you think is paying for that phone?

In a similar way, the VA "doesnt pay" VSO's.  But, they provide them something of value, that is, free rent in VAMC's and VARO's.  If someone is paying your rent for you, they normally expect something in return.  Finally, did you ever notice the "size" of the VSO's is directly related to how many POA's they have??   Guess what!  The size of a car dealership is directly related to how many cars they sell in a given month or year.  These car dealers make you think that they are doing you a favor, that they are not making squat on your car.  Ok, if this is true, how come VSO's can afford billboards, and sometimes even tv commercials in my area?  

Unless you find a money tree, those VSO's had to get money from somewhere and they dont get "near enough" JUST by donations.  In other words, somehow, some way, in addition to free rent, it makes sense the VA is supplementing (giving money to VSO's based on number of POA's) VSO's.  

While the VA paying VSO's is kept under carefully guarded secret, WE already know they pay their rent..probably utilities, too.  Did you see a seperate electric meter at your VSO's office in your VAMC or VARO?  Neither did I.  

The VA doesnt seem to have money to give it to homeless Vets for rent, but they do have money to provide free rent and utiliities for VSO's EVEN tho there is much political pressure on VA to help homeless Vets.    Connect the dots!

Edited by broncovet