VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally Won...NOW WHAT?

Rate this question

Ztmiller8

Question

Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!

• Lead Moderator

we need to know which part of the appeal process?  DRO?  HLR?  BVA?  The first two would be much faster of an implementation.  The BVA took 7 months to apply my grant and I had to fight them to get that done early.  So it really depends.

8 minutes ago, shrekthetank1 said:

we need to know which part of the appeal process?  DRO?  HLR?  BVA?  The first two would be much faster of an implementation.  The BVA took 7 months to apply my grant and I had to fight them to get that done early.  So it really depends.

Mine is with the BVA.

• Lead Moderator

First is it a straight grant? or is there a remand?

ok so here is my advice.  and you can take it for what it is worth.  I would wait for the letter to come in and give a it a two or three weeks and see if it was implemented.  I am hoping this just works out for you as this makes life easy.  This could happen if it is a straight grant with no remand.

Now if there is a remand and a grant (I learned this is the hard way) you need to start shaking the tree.  After 6 months I started to look and say hey why is this not done and then i finally started calling everyone.  Congressman-whitehouse hotline-peggy-VSO.  I would call them once a week.  The congressman is the one which finally panned out for me as they got on someone's ass as within a week of them contacting me it was implemented.  

You can do it anyway you want too, but for me this worked.

Congratulations!   

After you get the letter from the board, you will (eventually) get an "implementation" letter from the VARO.  

I have seen that take anywhere from 1 month to 6 months, with an "average" of about 3 months.  

Here is what you should be doing in the interim:

1.  Check out your "state" benefits, you may get a reduced or eliminated property taxes, for example, with 100 percent p and t. 

2.  Get your free 10,000 VA life insurance policy, if you havent gotten that already.  This is no cost.  Even tho its no cost to you, my policy is worth around 5000 cash if I cashed it in today.  (I got mine in 2007). 

3.  If you were charged "copays" at your VAMC, those should be refunded to you.  Take a copy of your rating letter to your VAMC "means" department.  

4.  Consider your "other" VA benefits, such as DEA ch. 35 benefits for your dependents. 

5.  Your wife should get free champva, its great health insurance. 

6. Some states have free hunting licenses/fishing license for disabled Vets.   

13 minutes ago, shrekthetank1 said:

First is it a straight grant? or is there a remand?

ok so here is my advice.  and you can take it for what it is worth.  I would wait for the letter to come in and give a it a two or three weeks and see if it was implemented.  I am hoping this just works out for you as this makes life easy.  This could happen if it is a straight grant with no remand.

Now if there is a remand and a grant (I learned this is the hard way) you need to start shaking the tree.  After 6 months I started to look and say hey why is this not done and then i finally started calling everyone.  Congressman-whitehouse hotline-peggy-VSO.  I would call them once a week.  The congressman is the one which finally panned out for me as they got on someone's ass as within a week of them contacting me it was implemented.  

You can do it anyway you want too, but for me this worked.

This was just an initial Grant, no remand, but okay, I’ll definitely use some of this, thank you!