Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Good News And Bad News Today

Rate this question

Nathan104

Question

At the end of November I had sent in a request for the temporary 100% rating for the 3 month convo period following my back surgery along with a claim for depression.

I had been seen in service for the depression and have just started treatment with the local VA clinic. I have been working on getting the mental health records from my old post as they are not included in my SMR's. There are only two pages in my SMR's that mention depression and they show where I was referred to mental health but nothing from my time being seen for it. Fort Rucker is being very slow in getting me the records even though they told me over the phone they found them.

Time was getting close to the 60 day mark so I called the VA and told them I had evidence to send that I was waiting for. They said they would put a hold on my claim and state in the notes not to rate it until I sent in the additional evidence. I also sent in the form stating I had more evidence for the claim.

Well, today I got a big white envelope granting my temp 100%(the good news) and also denying my depression claim due to lack of evidence! Well great. So now, I have to go through the appeals process for a condition that should have no problem being service connected in the first place. The reason I didnt have the VA acquire the records is I have heard bad things about their results and did not trust them to get the complete records. I was going to get them myself and highlight some stuff and send them in with a letter. This just sucks.

Also, last week, I just sent in my claim for TDIU based on my back, med side effects and depression. So, I dont know if they will look at it and say I was denied SC for depression and deny the TDIU right away based on that.

Im hoping that I have the depression records by the end of this month to send in. Not sure if I should send it all in and request a reconsideration or if I need to file a NOD and go that route. I just wish they would have actually done what they said and put the hold on it. ARRRRGGHHH!!!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Nathan- congrats on the temp 100%-

"I was going to get them myself and highlight some stuff and send them in with a letter." Good idea- if I were you based on what you stated here- I would attach whatever you can get to a Request for Reconsideration on the depression claim. But a Request like this does not stop the NOD clock.

That TDIU claim is a foot in the door there and those records you are waiting for can help that too-

Have they formally acknowledged the TDIU form yet?

They couldnt defer it in the decision because it might be still in the mail room.

I sure am glad they didnt give you any BS on the Temp 100%.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Berta- thanks for the reply. Im sure the TDIU claim is still in the mail room as you stated as I just sent it a week ago. I guess I will ask for the request for reconsideration. Its just so annoying that they didnt hold it like they were supposed to.

You dont think they would automatically turn down the TDIU since part of it is based on depression which as of right now I have a denied claim for do you?I will probably be 3-4 weeks before I finally get the records Im waiting on for the reconsideration. Im worried about them doing that.

Im also glad about the temp 100% being granted. I kept thinking it would take more than a letter requesting it, a note from my surgeon stating the convo period and my surgery report. But, no problems with that. And It only took 3 months.

• HadIt.com Elder

Nathan104,

You do not need to go through the appeals process. When you receive those records from Ft. Rucker, just send them in and write a short cover letter stating you are submitting "new" evidence and request the VA "reconsider" their prior rating decision of (insert date).

The VA will work the IU claim and the "reconderation" together.

What is your current rating for yur back?

Vike 17

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • KMac1181 went up a rank
      Rookie
    • Lebro earned a badge
      First Post
  • Our picks

• I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 3 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use