VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I file a claim for my out of pocket expenses for medical care performed by outside medical providers for my service connected disabilities?

Rate this question

63Charlie

Question

If yes, can someone provide a link, or information on how to proceed?

The deductibles I'm paying have placed a financial burden on my family.

Thanks for helping.

• HadIt.com Elder

The only thing about requesting the VA PAY FOR MEDICATION FROM OUT OF POCKET

Question?

Does the VA pay for these medication if the Veteran was not rated? or if they do  do they pay them when he is rated?

If your not service connected and you go get your prescription from a private source    and say years later you win your claim  50% or above  will the VA pay FOR THESE SCRIPTS that you paid from out of pocket?

I think this is what this poster is asking?

Berta,

This is a good find and consistent with what I posted but its vague on who at the VA you should contact. As large as the VA is, finding the right POC at the VA is like finding a needle in a haystack. Can you get in to the veterans myhealthvet and send a secure message notification to the community care office? This is a start.  Those messages have read receipts.  Next is to call the community care office and keep calling till you talk to someone in person.   Or you ask to speak to the person on staff duty at the VA hospital.  All the hospitals have a staff duty officer.  You need to ultimately find someone of authority and document all this.  

DSIG

• HadIt.com Elder

To recieve community care   you need to ask your VA Dr. for a referral to outside care  and to the VA  community care Dept

if you contact community care they will let you know  you need your VA DR TO REFER YOU.

If you have problems with your VA Dr  then go straight to your hospital director or assistant Director.

I was recommending that Berta contact the community care office because ultimately they would be responsible for interfacing with Optum Care about the emergency care hospitalization bills. 

Thanks, this veteran does not use a computer.

I called the Patient Advocate and he gave me the Community Care # at Bath VA.

All I need is his last 4 of his SSA # and will get that today-

or his friend who lives with him, maybe she should call the number I got...and

he said there should be no problem with this.

38 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Does the VA pay for these medication if the Veteran was not rated? or if they do  do they pay them when he is rated?

The VA would pay for the medications if they were prescribed through a community care referral regardless of if the veteran has a rating or not.  There will be a copay based on the veterans priority group; no copay if over 50% SC.   You can't go get treatment outside the VA without a community care referral and then come back and ask 'where should I send the bill'.     A community care referral is required and will cover these expenses.  I'm preparing to file a claim for an increase to a SC disability where I spent a lot of money out of pocket to determine any idiopathic causes to include failed treatments.  If the VA awards the increase I don't think I can come back and say 'I spent thousands of dollars out of pocket to figure out what was wrong with me, where do I send the bill?".  As cumbersome as it is, it is more cost effective to use the VA to cover some if not all of your healthcare.

Edited by DSIG