VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I file a claim for my out of pocket expenses for medical care performed by outside medical providers for my service connected disabilities?

Rate this question

63Charlie

Question

If yes, can someone provide a link, or information on how to proceed?

The deductibles I'm paying have placed a financial burden on my family.

Thanks for helping.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have this question

I was referred to the community care by  the VA Dentist..I was Approved

Ok I went to this private dentist  my wife private dentist...this was an emergency     the Dr had to do a Root Canal  on one of my front side tooth... after it was over I had to go to CVS and get my prescription's this Dr wrote for me 

one was a high powered Antibiotics and one was pain medication   both these scripts cost me a whopping 160,00 bucks 🤨

Can I take the receipts to the VA Bill paying office  and ask to be re-inversed? or to the   VA community care office?

anybody know for sure?

Buck52, I’ve never had to deal with meds through community care but my guess is that since the meds are related to the dental referral you would get reimbursed through community care. Call the community care office and ask them how to do this. They have often helped me with with referrals where I receive bills because these doctors don’t know how to bill optumcare, but I haven’t had to deal with meds. By the way, geez, what pain meds cost so much? 

• HadIt.com Elder

Some years ago I had claimed TDIU which would have made me eligible for dental care at the VA.  In the meantime I had dental work from a private dentist. I was charged big money for the dental care. When my claim was approved for TDIU I filed for reimbursement from the VA since my TDIU was retro to the time when I got the private medical dental.  The VA made me jump through hoops for six months and was nasty to my private dentist but they paid up.  So the point is that between the time you file for a SC condition and you get the award you may be able to claim payment for private medical care. This is just another case in point. I don't use VA dentists because in the past they did horrible job on me and pulled a tooth that was not bad. The VA dentist was telling me "you won't miss that tooth, no worries".  If you complain about a toothache at the VA you may very well loose a tooth.

• HadIt.com Elder

Do VA dentists do implants these days.  I need two and it will cost me 8K from private dentist.  Maybe I could get referral to private dentist for the implants.  Sometimes implants are the only way to go unless you want dentures.  I don't mean to change the subject but it is somewhat relevant I hope.

• HadIt.com Elder

John999 are you sure you want the implants?  they be ok for just a couple of teeth  maybe but for  all your teeth you would need 4 or 5 implants on the upper and 4 or 5 implants on the bottom......I couldn't stand them things in my mouth when I didn't have my teeth in....I think it would drive be flat crazy to have them implants in my mouth and not be able to take them out. (the implants)  I realize the teeth will come out  but it leaves the implants

Dentures  would be better   especially if there made just right and not come lose.

But to answer your questions  yes the VA Dental clinics have them...but some VA Dental clinics don't.....> you need to call around and find the VAMC Dental clinics that do Implants. Some clinics just do for a few missing teeth and some do the complete upper an lower implants for all your teeth..

I still have a few of my original teeth  but the VA HAS EXTRACTED ABOUT 15  AND ONE WAS A GOOD ONE,  WHY THEY EXTRACTED IT IS ANYONES GUESS

I Just had this Root Canal done Friday 3/12/21   because it was an anchor tooth to my partials. (private Dentist)  and he was so much easier than those guys at the VA.  AFTER HE NUMB ME I FELT NOTHING JUST THE DRILLS AND THE SMELL

• HadIt.com Elder

I am just going to get 2 implants and that would set me back 8K.  The implant is expensive and then you must get crowns also.  I have most of my teeth since I spent a small fortune to keep them.  I have had three implants in the past and they are expensive but you do preserve the teeth on either sides of the implant.  If you get bridgework they destroy the teeth on both sides of the bridge.  If I had to replace many teeth I would not do implants.  Just way too expensive and a whole lot of time, pain and work.  I had and have some old root canals.  The canals into the roots often break and then the tooth has to come out.  So then you have to decide on a bridge or implant or if too bad then the dentures.  I was a poor kid and did not get proper dental work so I decided I would do everything possible to keep the teeth I had even if I spent a small fortune.  I had a pretty good job for years so I spent the money to keep my teeth.  Maybe it is a fetish.