Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retroactive Pay on Open Claim

Rate this question

USMCScorpio

Question

Hi Hadit community,

I am looking to see if anyone has had payments for a claim that is still open, gathering evidence, and still has physicals and appointments yet to complete?

I received a VACP deposit this morning a little over 2k,

Submitted claim 11/2019 - 

Completed the 1st physical appt for hearing loss in early Feb 2021.

Still have a lot of items open which have yet to be addressed on this claim.

Did see the Retro Claim payment info on the va government site and waiting on the explanation letter.

But I am at a loss because I thought you didn't get payments until a final decision was made on your claim?

Just wondering if they've just started paying what they've ruled so far while scheduling the other appointments? Or just shut it down with what looks to be 10% and not schedule any other appointments, while the site updates from open gathering evidence to 'closed and final decision'? 

Which would be odd because there are clearly items that need to be addressed with appointments yet scheduled.

Thanks all.

Its not "that" unusual that the first notification we get is a deposit to our account.  The deposit comes electronically, the letter goes via snail mail.  Guess which moves faster..electronic deposits or the post office.  

You will have to wait for the envelope to know what to do.  

You may appeal "any portion" of the decision, except those deferred.  You may appeal the disability percentage, denial of other issues, or effective date(s).  But you have to wait on "deferred" issues.  

*Update* 

Just received my claim updates for 1 of 2 C&P exams.

Went for:

Flat Feet / Hammer Toes = received update via ratings page (left ft hammer toes service related 'yes' 0%) (right ft hammer toes service related 'yes' 0%)

Still nothing updated on flat feet from exams on the same day - so waiting on that decision. 

Once it comes back I'll have the last exam to wait on and that will be it.  

I'll keep everyone posted. 

• HadIt.com Elder

USMCScorpio Your personal info posted doesn't say what your combined disability rating is, but I think you already have some rating currently. So this isn't really for you but veterans should know that if you are rated with two or more 0% ratings, the VA will convert them into one 10% rating. You have two right now. Once you do get any rating of 10% or more, the original two go back to just 0's, but you are still s-c for them. If you have worsening conditions on your o%  to result in a increase to 10% or higher for the same s-c condition also removes the rule for two 0% =a 10% also.  Just to let others know. Point is a 0% rating is still valuable as you can upgrade your s-c condition as you get older. Two or more has the added value of converting into a comp based monthly grant, which is even better.

7 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

USMCScorpio Your personal info posted doesn't say what your combined disability rating is, but I think you already have some rating currently. So this isn't really for you but veterans should know that if you are rated with two or more 0% ratings, the VA will convert them into one 10% rating. You have two right now. Once you do get any rating of 10% or more, the original two go back to just 0's, but you are still s-c for them. If you have worsening conditions on your o%  to result in a increase to 10% or higher for the same s-c condition also removes the rule for two 0% =a 10% also.  Just to let others know. Point is a 0% rating is still valuable as you can upgrade your s-c condition as you get older. Two or more has the added value of converting into a comp based monthly grant, which is even better.

GBArmy,

This is still great information, and you are correct, as of now I have a 10% rating for Tinnitus while waiting on my final ratings from (flat feet, and depression)   which should be coming here soon if they've just updated one part of the same feet exams.

The C&P for depression obviously made it as well as they've denied service related PTSD as of today with no word on the depression. 

Learning a lot here lately on this process, that double 0% rule is great knowledge to have!

• HadIt.com Elder

Not wishing you any bad luck, but if denied, get more info and appeal on the depression as secondary to the tinnitus. It is worth it if your evidence isn't strong enough. Actually, I would have claimed mental health including but not limited to anxiety, depression, etc. Let the VA figure it out. You are looking to get a disability rating and appropriate comp; you shouldn't be to concerned what the VA calls the disability.