Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I have a sleep apnea exam coming up, what can I expect

Rate this question

INFSOL1973

Question

I have a VA exam coming up for my sleep apnea claim. It's only 45 minutes long so obviously they aren't going to actually

test me for sleep apnea, and anyway I've already been diagnosed with sleep apnea and have a CPAP machine. So what

are they looking to do here? I also have a rating already for PTSD, should I mention that as well? as a secondary diagnosis?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

6 answers to this question

Welcome to hadit!

Well, yes.  You are going to need a nexus, if you dont already have one.  So, if the doc says its "at least as likely as not" related to your PTSD (SC), then you should be good to go. 

Otherwise, you are gonna need an "in service event" that a doc says caused your sleep apnea.  

Also, you need a statement that your cpap is "medically necessary."

Good luck.  As always, get the Caluza elements and get SC.  

• HadIt.com Elder

infsol1973 Welcome to Hadit. They are going to review your evidence and see if your PTSD is already accounted for in your symptoms for OSA. It can be difficult in that the VA often includes it in your diagnosis for PTSD. You don't have to worry about mentioning it; they know. As Broncovet has mentioned, just because you have a CPAP doesn't mean that you have a diagnosis for OSA. Weird, I know. But it has to be called out. You may have to appeal with a good IMO. If you're scheduled for a C&P, go. But don't give up if denied; get a good diagnosis from a doc that supports it as a separate disability, so it isn't pyramiding. It is a 50% disability, so it would be important.See what the decision letter says and then appeal.

Well, did you file a claim recently for Obstructive Sleep Apnea? If so, they will need to do a C&P exam. Did you get diagnosed by the VA or a private doctor? If private, you should upload your medical records ASAP to va.gov so the VA knows. I have no idea what the 45 min exam is for but if you only filed for OSA then the examiner will not care to discuss any other disabilities with you (PTSD) as they would only be filling out a DBQ for OSA (having only been sent this with your profile from the VA claims dept.).  You can call the 3rd party handling the exam and ask them specifically what the exam is for. They have to tell you. Maybe that will clear things up for you. 

• HadIt.com Elder
On 3/19/2021 at 7:41 PM, INFSOL1973 said:

I have a VA exam coming up for my sleep apnea claim. It's only 45 minutes long so obviously they aren't going to actually

test me for sleep apnea, and anyway I've already been diagnosed with sleep apnea and have a CPAP machine. So what

are they looking to do here? I also have a rating already for PTSD, should I mention that as well? as a secondary diagnosis?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

How did you get diagnose for S..A.?

Did you start having problems with it after your PTSD Diagnosis?  the medications you take for PTSD maybe related to your now S.A.

Did you do a private sleep study  or did the VA do it?

Also did your VA Mental Health Dr  (physiatrist)   or therapist (L.C.S.W.) refer you to the VA Sleep Clinic for a sleep study?

IF Yes to all the questions  you can file a SECONDARY CLAIM (Secondary to your PTSD.

Re check your medical records and  VA Notes from ''Myhealthvet'' and see what theses VA Dr's have mention about your OSA  and look to see if any of these Dr's mention to you  or in your notes That it was medically necessary to use every night/ ect,,,ect,,, usually this will come from your sleep Doc.

Make sure you ask these Dr's about their qualifications (credentials)  you don't want a Foot Dr giving you a Sleep Apnea Diagnose!!!

As for as the C&P Exam just be on time & be  honest and answer all this examiners questions honestly as you can,

This examiner will or should review your Records the VA Sends them a week or so before your exam so they should be familure with your claim.

If you have any of your medical records to support your SLEEP APNEA CLAIM take them with you.

high lite the parts that is substantial to your claim (anything favorable)

if the examiner don't seem to ask you about some important questions and you feel the exam is a waste of time  ..pull out these records you have and ask this examiner  ''Excuse me Sir/Mam do you have this record? I notice you never ask me about them''?

Then show this examiner these records, if this examiner don't touch on particular parts of your Sleep Apnea  and why you are filing for OSA ? he/she may not but we never know? but in case  you will have your evidence with you  its always good to be prepared at your exam this exam could be the winning ticket to further increase your compensation and possibly get you the Special monthly compensation (SMC)

you may not need to show these records  if you don't feel its necessary and the examiner seems to have ask the right questions and seems  favorable   then you maybe ok  just always be honest and answer all the questions truthfully.

If your exam only last a few minutes  or the examiner mostly just reads off the computer and don't ask you any or many questions   the exam is more likely than not  NOT be in your favor  so bring up any questions at your exam if you feel the exam is going south.

be sure you can back up what you say to this examiner....

All the information in these above post is good info  follow it and you will be ok.

• HadIt.com Elder

THE 45 MIN exam   is just an average estimate as to how long the exam may take...if the examiner is a fast reader and does a good job ask the right questions and you answer them the best you can  the exam may not last 45 min...just go with the flow and make sure this examiner is doing his/he job  and that is to read your records and decide his opinion after he reads your records & if  his /er  opinion is favorable  it is very important  to winning your Sleep Apnea Claim, After a week or so  try your best to get a copy of this exam report.

If the VA does the exam  wait 3 days and go to your release of medical records dept at your VAMC.

IF ITS CONTRACTED OUT you may need to wait longer for the report  but the VA should have this in your records at least 2 or 3 weeks after the exam.

You are entitled to one free copy of this exam. get it and hand on to it   matter of fact  hang on to every letter or information the VA sends you it maybe very useful to you someday.

MAKE YOU A HOME FOLDER AND PUT EVERYTHING THE VA SENDS YOU IN IT, AND KEEP IT FOR SAFE KEEPING INCLUDING THE MAIL  ENVELOPES THESE COME IN. (THEY HAVE THE DATES ON THEM) post maked envelopes from the VA come in handy.

Edited by Buck52