Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How can I get a doctor to write a letter supporting my claim?

Rate this question

mb76

Question

1 hour ago, mb76 said:

I asked my shrink to write a letter in support of my claim and he said that VA policy is that he can't do that. Is this true? Any way around this?

What kind of support letter are you trying to get? Actually, you don't need a "letter". Just a statement in your treatment or progress notes/reports will do. If he/she is unwilling to write a letter or statement, make sure that you are treated whenever your symptoms act up or flare up to get them noted in your treatment records. Even if you have to call the telephone care and have them send a message to your doctor. Make sure you get the symptoms documented and go from there.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• HadIt.com Elder
6 hours ago, mb76 said:

I asked my shrink to write a letter in support of my claim and he said that VA policy is that he can't do that. Is this true? Any way around this?

Thanks.

WeLl I am not sure its true or not?  most VA Dr's won't but some will   so I doubt its true  but they do work for the VA.  so most new Dr's most likely won't write a letter or write you a favorable medical opinion...I mention to Veterans all the time up at my VAMC to get to know your Dr's and have a good relationship with them , earn their trust and  enjoy your time with these Dr's   once you get them on your side  it sure makes things a lot better.

You might want to go to MyhealthVet  and check your medical notes these Dr's write up ,  some times you can find some crucial evidence to use in your claim, just depends on what these Dr's are saying about your condition,?  ect,,,ect,,,, in the mean time you may want to request your C-FILE   If you have not, there could be crucial evidence in it that you have not seen /read/?

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

VA policy used too be that way, then it relaxed a bit but it still only says that doctors have the choice whether or not to do so. Many of them ethically see it as a conflict of interest, and while it frustrates me (i needed a functional capacity exam, some years ago and couldn't get one from them), I agree with them. While Vha and vba are two different entities in many ways, ultimately they are not, and after both paid by the same people. Many health doctors see this as a conflict, not just VA.

C&p examiners are trained differently and are not diagnosing, so their actual job is just deciding the evidence-Rhett don't see it as a conflict because they duvet have a patient relationship with you is hour it was explained too me. 

Some doctors just don't want to get involved in disability stuff. If it's in your medical notes already you dunt need a letter anyway. Just call attention to it when you submit it- highlight it before scanning, writein the margins, whatever. If it's VAMC you can pull your own stuff just like we're do through my health vet and download by date range- it only goes back a few years, though. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

Also, and I think Buck or Bronc had meetings this, too, don't go in after 1 visit adding fur an opinion from them. I never filled for anything until I had are least 6 months of notes.

And even then I never ask specifically for them to write me something, I just ask questions about specific things so that they would get in there. I also use secure messaging a lot to ask questions because they have to respond in some way to that and secure messaging is part of your health records. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

Here's the whole shebang on VAMC doctors and duty to assist with documentation/documents

/edit- fixed link to document

1134(2)_D_2016-11-28.pdf

Edited by brokensoldier244th

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

• HadIt.com Elder

When I was trying to get TDIU 20 years ago I found a shrink through my lawyer who had previously worked for the VA.  She charged me $250 and wrote the best IMO/IME I ever had.  It was so good the VA just quoted her word for work in their decision letter granting me TDIU P&T.  These doctors are out there but you have to find them.  If you have a lawyer who does VA claims or SSDI claims they often know docs who will help you.  The IMO is the gold standard for winning mental health claims IMO.  A good doc can tie up all the loose ends and use the right words and phrases the VA wants to win a claim.