Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Walk in -tub Grant/HISA??

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

sorry to keep asking these questions but my spouse needs a walk in tub and so do I, I am not service connected for anything that would require  me to meet the criteria for a GRANT=SAH- HISA

BUT WE BOTH SURE COULD USE ONE....IF WE HAD ONE I'D BE TAKING MORE BATHS THAN I DO..AND I KNOW AT TIMES I HAVE BODY ORDOR...WHICH SUCKS FROM THE LOOKS I GET AT THE GROCERY STORE.

just getting older and more unsteady  ect,,ect,,

Even though  I AM NOT SERVICE CONNECTED FOR THE CRITERIA,  HOWEVER IT SAYS FOR 

Veterans with conditions not connected to military service and aging veterans too and it covers for home improvement and modifications that are seen important for a better quality of life

Does the VA pay for Walk in tubs?

For those situations, the US Department of Veterans Affairs offers some grants and aids for financial assistance, and that can be used for the purchase and installation of the walk-in tub.

The Veteran Affairs offers three different house modification grants for disabled veterans: they are SAH-Specially Adapted Housing, SHA-Special Home Adaptation, and HISA-Home improvements and structural alterations.

These grants provide assistance that can be used for the purchase and installation of a walk-in tub and the HISA grant it’s the one that probably will help with the purchase and installation because it helps veterans with disabilities not connected to military service.

Veterans with conditions not connected to military service and aging veterans too and it covers for home improvement and modifications that are seen important for a better quality of life.

Anyway we both could use the walk -in Tub  especially my wife  but I could benefit from it to  I can't take baths  can't get out of the tub  and showers I  have trouble getting out and almost fall every time I step out.

this walk in tub we sure could use   anyone know if I have a fairly good chance of getting the VA to help us again? my spouse was approved for the A&A Program  its 160.89 extra a month and it helps out,  but I have problems helping my spouse in- out of the bathtub..

We have handy-cap bars but we still have problems getting out of the tub  slipping mostly.  ONE FALL AND MY WIFE  MOST  LIKELY WON'T MAKE IT. DUE TO HER SPINENAL STENOSIS  she has in the past fell out of the bathtub broke leg  about 5 years ago  also she fell about two years ago broke her hip.

I'll be 70 my birthday and wife is 68

SO Anyone know if we have a chance the VA will help?

Getting old is hell but it sure makes ya Appreciate Life.

Edited by Buck52

6 answers to this question

• Adminstrator

I would say go for it.  And to say you are not qualified for it does not seem to be the point.  You are 100% disabled and they should be helping you out if you needed it.

Just like when I asked my doctor for a pillow to help with my rotator cuff.  I sent her the pillow I wanted and in two weeks it was at my door.  I would go for, what is the worst they can say No?

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck, I agree with Shrek. What do you have to lose? I'd try the VA. If you have a home depot or Lowes, they might also give the unit as a grant to be installed like with some home improvement folks that help veterans in your area, like maybe VFW etc.  Just asking, but you don't have any disabilities that can be tied-back to balance issues? For example, I would expect diabetes would qualify with leg problems. I'd take a re-look at my symptoms for all my disabilities, including affects of meds you take. But, go for it. You're going to throw your back out trying to help your wife out. Happened to me.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Guys  I appreciate your response and advise ,

I may file for it see what they say? can't hurt anything.

Edited by Buck52

I agree with the above.  Think about it.  So, you make it to 100 percent.  Then you have additional problems..housebound, etc.  I have not always seen VA specific to try to decide if your housebound is due to sc conditions.  After all, "100 percent" of your ability to work is gone, so how could they argue your housebound or whatever was from the 0 percent not sc?  

This said, some hard nose raters will do just that..deny you arguing its not sc.  But many wont worry about whether or not its sc, or which percent is from PTSD, which percent is knee issue, what percent is tinitius, etc.  

Its a luck of the draw as to whether you get a Vet friendly rater or not.  But, roll the dice.  You have nothing to lose except your time you invested in applying. 

I mean, gee, is the VA really gonna ask the doc what percent of your ptsd, your knee issue, etc, contributes to you needing a walk in tub?  

Often it would be granted if "you are at risk of a fall".  I think you can see a regular shower in a tub would be difficult for some people to get in and out of, and risk injury if they fall.  

But it would be hard to figure out..Gee, are his wobbly knees due to lack of exercise from staying at home with PTSD, or is is caused from bad knees, or old age, or all 3?  You could argue ANY disability could contribute to a muscle leg deterioration..after all, if you have PTSD, you often sit around and worry and get little exercise to keep your muscles strong.  

As I said, ask, if denied, try to get an IMO, stating you need a walk in tub due to sc disabilities.  

Edited by broncovet