VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Doordash and TDIU

Rate this question

johnsoncm

Question

My question is can you be on TDIU  and still do Doordash?  Next year will be 10 years TDIU for me.  I'd like to make some extra money to payoff bills and think about a bigger home for my family.  I know there's no way I can work like I used to, I've accepted my limitations,  but Doordash would let me work when I want and if I'm hurting, I don't have to do anything.  Plus I think it would qualify under both marginal and protected environment work.

Honestly, though,  the VA terrifies me, and I've heard stories of vets who followed the rules and got screwed anyway.  So I'm asking for advice or anyone with experience here.  I tried going on the Board of Veterans Appeals site and searched up "Doordash" to see if anyone has gone through this, but nothing that applied.

Thanks.

No, they are in congruence with each other. Wade posted a broad definition example of marginal employment. I posted the regulation. Wade's example would fall under VIII.iv.3.A.2.c, bullet 2, under 'facts found' basis. Just be aware that even the Dept of Labor defines "Marginal employment' on a facts-found basis, case by case.

Sheltered employment is something that is rarely done anymore, except for places like "Goodwill" which hire developmentally disabled people and are allowed to pay them less than minimum wage under 'sheltered employment'. If you have so many accommodations that you can't work other than 1 place, unless another employer fulfilled the same accommodations, that could be considered marginal employment under a 'facts found' basis. I am not a rater, however, so I don't make those kinds of determinations- they have a lot more training in that area than I do. 

I can say that I work from home, full time, as an accommodation. If I didn't have that (along with some others) I would not be able to gainfully work with my combination of issues. Still, I am 100% P&T and I can type, and shovel my brain around, so as long as that holds up Ill keep working where I work. For me, there is no point in applying for TDIU, but as an example my workplace supplied me an ergo chair, keyboard, standing desk, and extra monitors for my computer of certain resolutions, and I have a more lenient break policy so long as I get my work done. I work from home, also, and that 'rider' will follow me throughout my employment here even if I change departments or Regional Offices. 

If I didn't have the above and wasn't 100%, I could not gainfully work, ergo, I would be a candidate for IU (and I have been before my 100% rating was finalized 8 yrs ago).

4 minutes ago, blahsaysme2u said:

perfect...thats what i thought but im dummy and need it spelled out in crayon sometimes..

thanks buddy!

Don't say that. It's a murky part of VA regs and also Employment law and policy for everybody. It confounds most people because of the case-by-case basis. You can't just point to 1 part and say "yup, there's the rule" and neither can the adjudicators for DOL, VA, or SSA. It really comes down to the individual person's set of circumstances. 

• HadIt.com Elder

If I was still getting TDIU I would not think about working any job where I get a W-2 or 1099.  If you can find something in the underground economy where you don't leave a trace for IRS, SSA or the VA then that might be ok.  Before I got 100% I used to buy and sell collectables.  I had a lot of fun going to actions and sales.  Everything was on a cash basis.  If you get all the benefits of TDIU and being P&T I would try everything else first before working at all.  I don't advocate breaking the law but nobody says you have to dumb about it.  Now I make most of my money from passive income which does not count towards TDIU or SSA.