Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Legit Organizations To Help with Filing Claim from 90% to 100%

Rate this question

Top G

Question

** Edited:  Included my VA decision letter from 2009 with medical descriptions and percentages awarded.

I'm a Service-Connected Disability Rating of 90% with just over 20-years of active duty in the USMC.  I've been retired since 2009 with my 90% rating ever since.  Since then, some of my documented rating disabilities have worsened.  The ringing in my left ear has worsened to the point the ringing is always there and loud enough to where it makes it difficult to concentrate.  My grenade concussion that caused me to lose eyesight for a short period of time back in the 90s....I believe has caused for me to have a torn retina a few years ago as the concussion may have weakened my retina.  Recently had 2 stents implanted, diabetes, shoulder pain has worsened making it harder to sleep on my sides....and on and on.  Over 20-years of active duty in Combat Arms and in combat sure does wear a body down...

So, I'm now looking to seek a higher compensation to 100% P&T.

I have previously reached out to the DAV and another organization...can't recall the name...but no forward momentum on either for assistance.  Now, I'm considering other organizations that will charge me money to help...like 360 Veteran.  Don't know of others, but I'm to a point to where I feel I should be rated at a higher rating than where I have been since 2009.

Interested in hearing from those of you who have gone to other agencies/organizations for assistance in filing VA disability claims to raise your previous rating.

Thank you all.

Pages from 2009 - VA Decision Letter_Redacted_Page_2.png

Pages from 2009 - VA Decision Letter_Redacted_Page_1.png

Edited by Top G
Updated with VA decision letter from 2009.

I used DAV but they really weren't much help. I filed everything on my own and used DAV because they had access to VBMS and so I could contact them and see what was going on with my claims.  

If you're getting treatment for PTSD and it's documented in your records that your PTSD is worsening, it shouldn't be difficult to get an increase. Heck, if any of your disabilities have worsened and it's documented in your medical records then you should be able to get increases. The max you can get for tinnitus is 10% though.

Have you been diagnosed with any endocrine issues like hypothyroidism, low testosterone, etc. or do you have any symptoms of these? It's well documented that concussions can damage the pituitary glands and cause a whole host of endocrine issues.  

As others have said, if you don't feel up to filling these yourself then a lawyer is probably the way to go.  

IMHO, if you turn over your claim to a 3rd party, you need to go over the claim with a fine tooth comb to insure that everything you want done is there. You are your own best advocate. I have seen too many problems popup because the VSO failed to do a comprehensive job, costing the Vet time and benefits. Going through an appeal process or resubmitting new evidence in a supplemental claim is more time burned that you go without any benefits you should have. 100% P&T will give you health care and educational benefits for your family as well. The reason we get results is because we have been through this before, and we know what errors we and others have made that you can avoid. Not sure if you have someone close that can help you with this, but IMHO, you are far better off doing this on your own so if you have a wife or older child who can help you, do it.

I wouldn't use any of these third parties as others have suggested.  I wouldn't even hire a lawyer to do the things that you can do on your own.  You'll get results quicker and won't have to pay them.  

Your best path, as others have suggested is to file for an increase on your PTSD and TBI.  I've gotten to 100% PTSD with TBI symptoms on my own using these people:

https://veteranspsychevaluations.com/

https://ellisclinic.com/va.html

They will take a look at your old C&P's, and medical evidence and get you the proper assessment. This is what lawyers are going to do anyway.  The VA probably lowballed you on these two things.  Hopefully you have been in constant treatment for these.

If you have any questions about my experience, PM me.  I've been there, done that.  With great success and no lawyers dragging it on for a decade and no appeals process.  Just straight up used VA law and procedures to get my claims approved.

I fully agree with members here who say to try to increase the PTSD rating, and I afree with El train as to trying to get the 10% TBI higher.

VA was rating TBIs completely wrong years ago- I will try to find that info here m and they were rating TBI vets the wrong way-I dont know if this happened prior to your TBI rating- 

And PTSD - I worked in a vet center in 1983 as a olunteer and was voted into the Combat PTSD group ( I am a civilian) and I know PTSD can get worse with time.

I assume you get PTSD therapy from the VA or maybe from a private doctor and take meds for anxiety and/or depression etc due to the PTSD.

Has the VA ever ( since the 30%) changed your PTSD meds to something stronger that what you took during 2009 claim?

Do you get CRSC or  CRDP?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

"When did concurrent receipt start?
CRDP was first authorized in the FY2004 NDAA and was phased in over a 10-year period between 2004-2013. CRDP is sometimes referred to as restored retired pay, as it removes the previously required offset of VA payments.Aug 11, 2020"

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IF/IF10594

It seems you were eligible for CRDP during the time frame of your claim.***

CRDP is automatic.

However an upgrade to your PTSD and/or TBI might well establish your CRSC eligibility-but I am basing that solely on what we see here- and have no idea what your DFAS benefit would involve, how the " phase in" would have affected you.***

This is a superb article by MOAA which reflects the concerns I have, that CRSC might be better or you then CRDP:
https://www.moaa.org/content/benefits-and-discounts/pay-and-benefits/military-pay-benefits/crsc/

I am putting the CRSC/CRDP chart here because it is often hard to find this under our search feature.

"please note the following characteristics of CRSC and CRDP:

CRSC

CRDP

Full Concurrent Receipt    
Yes

Yes

Required Minimum VA Disability Rating:    
10%

50%

Taxable    
No - It is a disability payment.

Yes - It is considered recoupment of retired pay.

VA Individual Unemployment (IU) Eligible    
Yes

Yes

Survivor Benefit    
No

No

Application Requirement    
Yes - DD 2860

No - Automatic

Type of Disability    
Combat Related

Service Connected

Subject to USFSPA Division (Former Spouse)?    
No

Yes

Retroactive Payments    
Yes - Back to June 1, 2003

Yes - May go back to June 1, 2004

Claims Process    
Must Apply through Service Branch

Automatic Enrollment

CRSC Eligibility
To qualify for CRSC you must:

be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
be rated at least 10% disabled by the VA
waive your VA pay from your retired pay
file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service
Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:

Armed Conflict
Hazardous Duty
An Instrumentality of War
Simulated War
If you have questions about your CRSC eligibility, please call DFAS at 800-321-1080 or contact your Branch of Service.

https://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/special-pay/comparing-crsc-and-crdp.html

This is what I meant about the TBI fiasco years ago:

"Veterans Affairs officials aren't saying how 24,000 veterans were diagnosed with traumatic brain injury by VA physicians considered unqualified to make such a determination, but on Wednesday, told Congress the department is working to resolve related disability claims problems.

Some veterans diagnosed with TBI from 2007 to 2015 were denied disability benefits because they were examined by a VA health provider considered to be unqualified under VA policy."

https://www.militarytimes.com/veterans/2016/07/13/va-doubling-back-to-resolve-tbi-claims-denials/

You might have been one of tthe 24,000 (in my opinion it probably had been more TBI vets than that number."

The newer regulations and TBI criteria are here and I will try to find them.