VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

If you are having problems with the VA ordering unnecessary

Rate this question

Mr cue

Question

Title: VBA Could Improve the Accuracy and Completeness of Medical Opinion Requests for Veterans’ Disability Benefits Claims
Report Number: 22-00404-207 Download
Issue Date: 9/7/2022
City/State:  
VA Office: Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA)
Report Author: Office of Audits and Evaluations
Report Type: Review
Release Type: Unrestricted
Summary:

For veterans seeking disability compensation benefits, the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) requires a disability exam to determine the severity of a disability or a medical opinion on whether a current condition can be connected to military service. VBA has committed an estimated total of $6.8 billion in contracts to complete disability examinations and medical opinions over a five-year period starting in 2016. Because medical opinion requests can be vital to ensuring veterans receive the benefits to which they are entitled, the VA Office of Inspector General (OIG) examined whether VBA staff correctly followed procedures when requesting medical opinions.

The review team found that VBA can reduce inadequate medical opinions, incorrect or delayed claims decisions, and wasted resources by improving internal controls, personnel training, and monitoring of medical opinion requests. The team estimated that 27,900 of 41,100 requests (68 percent) did not follow required procedures during the review period (October 1, 2020–September 30, 2021). Claims processors did not consistently identify relevant medical evidence for the examiner’s review, did not always use clear and accurate language, did not regularly request all warranted medical opinions, and sometimes requested unnecessary medical opinions. These failings can lead to inaccurate medical opinions, incorrect decisions on veterans’ claims, delayed decisions for veterans, and inefficient use of resources (such as when the medical opinion requires rework).

VBA concurred with OIG-identified deficiencies and recommendations to (1) implement electronic system enhancements to require claims processors to identify relevant evidence before a medical opinion request can be submitted, (2) enhance mandated training for all claims processors and demonstrate progress in achieving its intended impact, and (3) strengthen monitoring by refining quality review processes to help identify areas for improvement and show advancements in complying with required procedures

Lol we were did I say refuse a exam

Were does the oig reports say refuse a exam.

So I prove my point read the report and talk about that because I didn't tell anyone to refuse a exam.

You. Are do a dis service by keep try to tell veterans not to fight some thing the oig found to be problem with.

That the real dis service smh

don't get mad at the messenger.

I think the usage of "refuse" and "fight" might be the culprit in the comms-breakdown here. 

Cue, let's just use a hypothetical:

You get an exam date from the VA. Its an exam you don't feel is necessary. You called the WH hotline to "fight" the necessity of the exam, NOT to refuse an exam. I think we can all agree on that, right? 

Now assume this exam is a short-notice exam, taking place in the coming days. Hotline says they'll forward it along to have your concern addressed. 

The date of the exam arrives and no word from hotline or anyone. Do you attend the unnecessary exam? Or do you just not attend pending hearing back from WH hotline?

I feel situation like this or others I probably have not experienced myself, could be what others are driving at when the say refusing an exam. While you're not outright refusing anything, the VA will ultimately view it that way of you do not attend. 

So I believe the distinction between refusing  and fighting the necessity of the exam should be more the forefront of this??  🤷‍♂️

Ok I have never said call and refuse a exam.

Example you apply for loss of use then you attend 5 comp exams for the same issue.

Than they order a specialized exam loss of use Comp exam.

They never address any of the exams.

An denied the claim. You appeal an its a remand.

An they try to order the same exam over again.

Would you keep allowing it or would you start fighting.

When does a veteran say address the exams you order.

They will send a veteran for a whole new exam because a box isn't check.

That is how it work read the oig report.

Now if you apply for benefits and if you think you can refuse a exam that is on you.

Because you will never get your benefits.

But I believe everyone understood the difference between fight and refuse.

You just got some that can take the message because of the messenger

• HadIt.com Elder

If you don't go to an exam your claim is automatically denied.  Can you get that through your head.  You encourage people to not go to exams and then deny it.  Have not you been warned about this before on Hadit?

5 minutes ago, john999 said:

Have not you been warned about this before on Hadit?

Have you not been warn that I will post about what I feel and will post my experience with the VA .

An if you don't like it you don't have to respond.

Attack me over the VA abuse of the private contractors exams. Is showing you are not helping veteran understand the problem.

Didn't the oig say it a problem 

If all you have to add to the issue is that

I am telling veterans to refuse exams. Smh

You can should keep it to yourself.

Because not once has you address the problem. With the private contactor exams 

An how to attack the problem. Which is how you help a veteran.

Oh your way of attacking the problem seem to be to tell veterans they can't fight it. Which to me is a dis service.

On 10/7/2022 at 2:51 PM, Mr cue said:

Ok I have never said call and refuse a exam.

Example you apply for loss of use then you attend 5 comp exams for the same issue.

Than they order a specialized exam loss of use Comp exam.

They never address any of the exams.

An denied the claim. You appeal an its a remand.

An they try to order the same exam over again.

Would you keep allowing it or would you start fighting.

When does a veteran say address the exams you order.

They will send a veteran for a whole new exam because a box isn't check.

That is how it work read the oig report.

Now if you apply for benefits and if you think you can refuse a exam that is on you.

Because you will never get your benefits.

But I believe everyone understood the difference between fight and refuse.

You just got some that can take the message because of the messenger

I never said that either. I guess we can all just keep doing what we are doing…